• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building PC for girlfriend.. this good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I said 256mb at least the 512 is if its affordable and the extra $10 for the 7200 rpm HD is worth it and the $12 difference for the proc isn't an exhorbant amount of money either and who wouldn't want to burn a few cd's why don't you tell her hey you wanna spend an extra $124 and have this thing for a while or even better chip in some money for her I'm sure you'll earn some points ;)

Braindonor said:
I said 256mb at least the 512 is if its affordable and the extra $10 for the 7200 rpm HD is worth it and the $12 difference for the proc isn't an exhorbant amount of money either and who wouldn't want to burn a few cd's why don't you tell her hey you wanna spend an extra $124 and have this thing for a while or even better chip in some money for her I'm sure you'll earn some points ;)

Im more broke than she is right now. Bought too much junk off ebay.

I just priced it out and it came to about $328 without the mobo cause I couldn't find it on New Egg and I have to go to class now but this is the break down

athlon xp 1600+ = $54
Crucial pc2100 ddr 256MB = $65
Radeon 32MB = $32
Maxtor 30GB 7200 rpm HD = $73
Sony 1.44 Floppy =$8
MSI CDRW 48x16x48 = $62
Case =$35

and I'm sure you can find this stuff even cheaper this is all from new egg pricewatch may have a few better deals

Although the difference between 7200rpm and 5400rpm HD is only 10 bucks it might not be worth it if she isn't doing any intense gaming, ripping MP3's or anything like it.

The 256 DDR ram is the best option and the XP1600+ should also be used.

NONE of the other components are really needed and don't add that much bang for the buck. You can always add the CDRW at a later date.

That might not hurt so much. You might be able to leave out the floppy if you want to save the 8 bucks. I don't use one at all anymore. Maybe you can salvage one from an old system. They last forever and people usually junk the entire tower, floppy included.

256Meg DDR ram is quite enough for almost ALL winblows apps.

The exceptions are autocad programs. I don't think she will be using these at home.

I see people blowing too much money on computers all the time. Stupid me, I sell them and try to convince people they should spend less. What kind of idiot am I???

If you want to save some real coin. Get a K7SEM-B mobo with a Duron 1200. You can find the combo for well under 100$. I can buy them for 120$ Can. about 80$ US. That is a wholesale price but retail is sometimes not that much higher. You can use the integrated video and sound.

I built that system for a friend who only does internet and some games. He is quite happy with it so far. It is CHEAP that is what makes it good for some people.

Last edited:
more ram

put in a ton

that always seems to be the limiting factor later on down the road

mabey a cheapo dvd rom instead of her cd

so she can watch movies and stuff

what sized monitor
i hate when people get a new computer and like 12 inch monitor
the monitor does like99% of all the output of the ocmputer andyet its the most negleted part

also im sure you can pick up a athlon on the classified cheaper than dirt

OSUmaxx said:

Not sure if you saw my above post, but I still don't see why you can't cut out $100 and get XP home instead :confused:

I definitely agree with this. Until I downloaded the Windows .NET trial, I was using XP Home on my Dell and liking it. I don't think she'll need the extra features of XP Pro, so save a hundred bucks and add some other stuff.

My college gets XP Pro for free for the students, and the cd allows two seperate installs.

Back