• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Progressive scan PC DVD drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ColdMiser

I am going to build a HTPC to connect to my HDTV widescreen. I have not yet purchased a Progressive scan DVD player. I was going to use a DVD drive in the PC as the DVD player. Are there any PC DVD drives out there that are progressive scan?

I dont think a PC DVD drive has to be progresssive scan compatible in order to output full frames. Try a search on google for htpc and progressive. I'm sure you'll turn up a bunch of articles on what exactly you need.

OK. I read a bunch of stuff on a lot of sites. It seems that the "Progressive" part is not a function of the DVD drive itslef, but the decoding hardware in the PC. I'm still reading. The consensus is that an HTPC can provide an unbelievable picture for much less money than buying top of the line individual home theatre components. Plus its a computer!! I can't wait to play some games on my HD widescreen.

Yea then you should get a part that ATI makes for their AIW cards (you have to use one of those cards I'm pretty sure) that lets you use component cables to connect the HTPC to the TV.

Back