• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TC vs Norseman

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burning Phoenix

You probably already noticed that you 2 are heading to the #1 spot for OC.com seti team at approx. the same time. Who will win? TC once held this position and probably deserves to see it for at least a day or so as hes been fighting Benz for months now to get it back.

HINT! Norseman!

Just kidding i'm sure TC will let you guys have it.

I'm not fighting for #1 on the team - rather for top 1000 world wide. Whom ever crunches the hardest deserves #1 on the team.

Just a few more days for me. Knock on wood. We should have several top 1000 members soon. Perhaps we can then have a new stat - how many top 1000 members our team has :)

I wish Berkeley had a page to show your position and the next 10 or so above and below with daily/weekly output. That would really help you keep track of what you need to do to keep progressing up the charts. I'm sort of holding steady in the top 1600 right now. :/

Cy

Just curious - where's the other Norse Man? It's the Norse Men right? I mean, it takes more than one man to run over TC right? ;)

Cy said:
I wish Berkeley had a page to show your position and the next 10 or so above and below with daily/weekly output. That would really help you keep track of what you need to do to keep progressing up the charts. I'm sort of holding steady in the top 1600 right now. :/

i feel your pain... i have the same problem, hovering right around 1600. you really gotta push to get in the top 1000...

TC said:
We should have several top 1000 members soon.

Well I hope to make it too. I just peeked at the 50K milestones and wondered about that. KWH's are holding back additional crunchers but new cpu's are helping production a lot. It would be great to get down to just the basics, CPU, memory and NIC.:D

Harvey

My bill is appearing to be much higher than last year. I'll just blame it on the wife's medical equipment.;)

We will be losing that quad Xeon MP server I thought we would lose during the races. It's unfortunate and should slow our progress. I loaded .Net Enterprise Server RC-1, and it knocked about 14 minutes per WU off the completion times, and that's with 4 CPU's crunching 8 WU's at a time. .NET has HyperThreading optimizations. This made a significantly larger difference on the MP's vs. the DP's.

We're also gunning for top 1000, at 1180 right now.

...and yes TC, it does take 2 of us to carry your jockstrap.;)

slipknot said:
How do you guys crunch so many? Do you guys have this program installed at work or school? Man you guys can crunch some WU'S

Some have multiple computers they have control over at work or at school, the quickest / cheapest way is to go diskless. You just need MB + proc + NIC + video + ram + PS. NO hd, cdrom, monitor, no key board, no mouse .......

Each node boots over the network off a server. Howto can be found in the links section here
http://www.ocsetiteam.com/index.php

Prices have been discussed, a cheap node (amd1600xp) can be had for around $150, say what, maybe 6 WU per day? So just $600 can buy 24 WU per day.

Keep going, and you blow the powersupply to your house, you gotta get an electrician to add more circuits ...... addiction is just ugly. :)

I'm starting to get it now. Look like I'm be stuck with only my 3 PCs for now. :) I did replace my K6-2 550 cruncher with an 800Mhz celeron :)

My crunchers :
XP1800 at XP2000 speeds
Pentium III 750
Celeron 800

It's like the line in The Fast and The Furious , that says that the guy has to give the other guy a 10 sec car. In seti is equivalent to a 2.5hour cruncher ;-)

WOOOOOW you guys are amazing. And I thought I was flying by ranks with only 1 pc that does 4hours per wu (not dedicated). :(

Back