• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

colored water for water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
B

brad

would regular old food dye have any negative effects on a water cooling setup?

with clear hoses it looks really cool! I'd say it'd take a LOT of food color to make a good result.

they sell florscent dye's that look great in black lights. red, blue, green and clear that turns blue I believe. Don't have a link tho.

I was just reading somewhere that they added food coloring and it got clogged in the rad over time. i dont know if i was imagining this or if it actually happened. I cant seem to find the article.

OpenFriday (Apr 25, 2001 06:23 p.m.):
I was just reading somewhere that they added food coloring and it got clogged in the rad over time. i dont know if i was imagining this or if it actually happened. I cant seem to find the article.

I find this happening to me alot also, so now whenever i think something might have happned i say it did, makes things seem better......mmmmmmm......... false sense of hope/saftey/general sense of reality

Im re visiting all the sites ive been to today because i could have sworn a saw a rad (cube i believe) and someone added red food coloring and over time it clogged and had to be cleaned as the water stopped flowing. Now just have to re trace my steps.

You could just use Purple Ice or Redline Water Wetter. Though I know from experience, that Purple Ice is NOT purple.......IT'S F*CKIN' PINK !! geez, I would have never bought it knowing that. But it works good....and it doesn't seem to be clogging anything.

I put Water Wetter in mine and it's kind of a flouresent pink color. Cant see it when the cover is on though. Maybe I'll make a window in my case and put a light in there. I already have blue led's so maybe I'll get a blue light for the inside.

i have seen a site that used food coloring to allow the water to show up in the pictures, clogged the crap out of his nice water jacket(it was a swifttech i believe). Had to scrape it out. Find something like waterwetter or antifreeze to die it, or better yet, get a crystal of an industrial strenght dye! that would not clog it up, and turn a lot of water to the desired color.

go look for dye-lite it's an industrial flourescent dye used for leak detection that doesnt clog water cooled systems. not to mention it's strong too. www.caseetc.com sells 1 oz bottles of the stuff in blue and green, and from what i've heard that's enough to do 10 gallons of water easily.

and waddya mean ya cant see it. some of us have windows or dont use our side panels ya know :p

I put loads of red dye in my system, and it clogged up my senfu block. picture enclosed...

[img="[URL]http://www.spodesabode.com/articles/senfu/reddyebig.jpg[/URL]"]

hope that works. I cleaned it all out and it was fine. DON'T USE FOOD COLOURING!!!!!!

hey spode, when you made that jamjar wtaerblock are you sure you didnt empty the jam into your reservoir? cuz that gunk looks like strawberry

Fro (Apr 26, 2001 07:16 a.m.):
hey spode, when you made that jamjar wtaerblock are you sure you didnt empty the jam into your reservoir? cuz that gunk looks like strawberry

Having checked out some of his other innovations, I wouldn't doubt it being strawberry. :)

it looks tasty huh?

I reckon it might have been alright if I had added bleach to the water. I reckon something was feeding off the food colouring. I'm not sure. Either way, I wouldn't do it again!

Thanks everyone. I'm glad I asked before I messed up my system.

Back