• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone tried this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roachvan

Registered
Has anyone tried to run copper tubing thru the fins of a heatsink?
That way you could use water and air cooling at the same time.
please let me know if you did and if it works or if it's just a crazy idea.

Roachvan (Apr 26, 2001 12:17 a.m.):
Has anyone tried to run copper tubing thru the fins of a heatsink?
That way you could use water and air cooling at the same time.
please let me know if you did and if it works or if it's just a crazy idea.

I suggested a similar thing a water block with fins sounds ok in theory....

I dont think running copper tubes through a standard heatsink would net you much gain as you have to deal with the thickness of the base of the sink, the fins and the copper tubing thicknesses to contend with, and to get good contact you'd have to epoxy them in with arctic silver epoxy or something similar, at that point the air cooling of the sink would be near worthless...the waterblock with a heatsink seems like a good idea to me, even just as an emergency backup if the water system failed

I had the exact thought the other day. Drill a 10mm hole in it and cover a copper pipe in artic silver epoxy and put it in. Obviously do more than one pass. But I reckon it MIGHT work. I was gonna try it sometime.

Here is my thinking. The reason for water cooling is that it disipate heat better than air. So instead of the fins why not have a bigger more intricate water block. Also if you have a water pump, especially internal, and something goes wrong where there is no water in the block, cooling the processor is the least of your worries. Also I just can't imagine that it would actually make a noticable difference.

Just my two cents.

u guys have think of this.
the main idea of water cooling is to suck the heat from the core so that the radiator can get rid off it.
and sometime the inside of the case could be warmer then the temp of the water.
and if this were the case then the fins on the HS will draw in the heat from the case and in to the water .
making the whole system less efficient.
and if u were to use this with a pelt then u`ll be filling the case with the unwanted heat from the fins of the water block+fins.
so overall u can only have one or the other.
hsf or water block.
GOD....

actually. there was an article a while back on the front page about a guy that made a gorb into a waterblock, he said it worked or sumthin like that, now it might not be the best block around, but it would provide some safety incase your pump failed

But seriously...

Why not make a water block/HSF hybrid. Build the water block around the end of the HS, leaving just enough of the fins exposed to the air, so a fan could be attached at that point. The rest of the fins are
"inside" the water...Youser...

Spykid

Back