• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgraded comp, it's not working...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

khel1

Okay, I decided to get some new stuff for my computer, but I only had about 500 bucks to spend so I kept some old stuff too.

I bought a new cpu, xp 2100, a new motherboard A7v333, a new case, a coolermaster 201, 2 rounded cables(hd and fd) and a new power supply(Powmax Lp-6100D, 400W) and a thermal volcano 9 fan+heatsink.

I reused:
harddrive(30gig, 72krpm)
dvd drive(16x)
sound card(sblive 5.1 plat)
3com ethernet card
video card(had just bought a gainward geforce4 4200)
2 sticks of 256 ddr 2100 memory.

I plugged everything in(I believe everything is correct, I have only built one computer before though)
Turn on the back power switch, then hit the power button on the front. Nothing happens.

I open the side panel up, turn the back switch on again, and the green light on the motherboard comes on. I try the front button again and it doesn't work.

I tested the power button coords, even used the ones from my old case to make sure its not them(they didn't work either) I know they are in the right spot on the motherboard too.(at least I think they are)

I tried pulling everything out, including the cpu, memory and put it all back in.

Still doesn't work. Sometimes when I hit the power button, it makes a noise, and the back fan might spin half a spin, but nothing else happens.

Is it a bad power supply? If it is what do you recommend I use?

Or is something else giving me a problem?

Thanks

I tried the old psu, still didn't work, so I guess it isn't that.

Then I tried the old psu in my old comp with nothing in it but the cpu/heatsink just to see what would happen, and the same thing happened as the new one.

So I believe I am missing something, but I am not sure what, I think I am gunna unhook everything, put it all back in the old comp, try the old comp again to see if everything works, then put it back in the new comp step by step and make sure everything is set correct.

Or does anyone else have any ideas?

And just to let you know I am leaving in about 10 mins, but will be back later to check thread.

Thanks

try resetting the bios, there should be a jumper on the motherboard that says something like reset cmos, unplugg the computer and reset it for about 10 seconds, then put it back in the position you found it - when you up grade from old components it is best to reset the bios

There is no reset cmos, what about CLR_RTC? It is to the right of something called the lithium cell CMOS power...edit: I tried taking the CMOS power out for 10 secs, put it back in, still the same..

also do I unplug everything from the motherboard? or can I leave the stuff in there? edit: I left everything in there when I tried, should I take them out and try again?

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Have you tried unhooking everything except the cpu/memory/hsf and powering everything up? Keep removing things and powering up and see what happens.

It could be the power supply. Or maybe your motherboard is touching the metal part of the case, you have to put some screws so that the board can rest on them and to level your board in the case. I had that problem before.

CLR_RTC

CLR_RTC sounds like the right jumper to clear cmos. If all else fails just pull out the CMOS battery and plug it back in. It does the same thing.
late
r2r

Back