• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TOO many antecs....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i had the antec 1030 and i loved it...i just had to move it a lot, so i got a lian-li pc61...thing only weighs 12lbs empty...so obviously it works better for my needs...plus lian-li makes a great product.

Re: want to really be different

larva said:
And don't pat Antec on the back too much, as neither they nor Chieftec actually make the cases. They are made by a company called Cheng Ming and sold under the Chieftec and Antec names. Antec did have the good sense to pick a superior case to sell, but they did not design or make it.

If you read the article that Antec Rep linked you'll see that it mentioned that they don't do the manufacturing, just the design. As far as not patting Chieftec on the back, well, at least give them credit for this fine bit of fakery:

http://www.chieftec.com/profile/profile.htm

AntecRep said:
At least we're coming out with new lines of cases, not based on that chassis. Granted the Solution Series aren't geared specifically to the DIY market. And if you go over to http://www.silentpcreview.com/modul...ns&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=41&page=1

You'll see a preview of another new case that's on the way.

AntecRep

hmm

Tranquility eh?

it wont be when i have finnished with it - room for 120mm fans only means 1 thing - 190CFM deltas!

my only concern with moving away from that standard chassis may remove some features such as the removavble fan holders and hard disk bays which attrated many users

i have the chieftec clone and its a hoss even without anything in it besides the psu. i its big, plenty of space, looks alright, and has those nifty fan-snapper-inners. can't go wrong there IMO. those hydroulic door cases are looking pretty tight though, i'm prolly gonna get one of those for my next computer.

jeff

Jeff Bolton said:
i have the chieftec clone and its a hoss even without anything in it besides the psu. i its big, plenty of space, looks alright, and has those nifty fan-snapper-inners. can't go wrong there IMO. those hydroulic door cases are looking pretty tight though, i'm prolly gonna get one of those for my next computer.

jeff

ya..i have seen those cases....they arent bad...but why the hell do people call them hydrolic...all it is a gear reduction.

~Will

lol

willlangford said:
i like the looks of that new antec. but with my lian-li pritty soon everyone will have one. i dont know what case to get.

~Will
Better dump that AMD chip and the Nvidia card too, waaay too many folks got those.

not to me

I evaluate my hardware in terms of how well it performs for what I bought it for. I could care less if my selections put me in the majority or the minority. As you get older you will grow less concerned with how your actions, decisions, and even hardware compare with those of others. Happy computing :)

Re: Love those Alienware cases...

turboalpine said:
Nice to see someone else with a smooth, black, Alienware case. Mine is identical except I have the front sound and USB ports, with a few fans in the side. Great case after you take care of the ventilation a bit.

turboalpine

Alienware cases are the exact same thing as the Chieftec/Antec cases just a different bezel. You can't say you're different because you have an Alienware case instead of a Chieftec they are the same thing! AmigoThree's case is completely different and his door slides down. I'm tired of people dissing Antec cases because alot of people have them? WTF do you think so many people have them? It can't be because they're great and cheap can it?

Re: not to me

larva said:
I evaluate my hardware in terms of how well it performs for what I bought it for. I could care less if my selections put me in the majority or the minority. As you get older you will grow less concerned with how your actions, decisions, and even hardware compare with those of others. Happy computing :)

I could not agree more with the first and second sentence. But, and I think this is a misunderstood point in questions like "Too many Antecs?", I've never read this as a debate on its value or performance.

The only debate regarding the Antec that I see is about modding, and its more of a dilema than a debate. A cornerstone of modding is to make a computer stand out as individually yours. What are you going to do with an Antec that hasn't been done by 20 other people? That's the dilema. There's this great performing case at a terrific price, but its popularity makes it harder to stand out.

You can say the same thing about cars, clothes or music. Its fashion, and while I don't want PC's to become a fashion statement alone (anyone say "Mac"?) I think a little bit of it makes computing better.

BHD

I've always thought trying to be unique for the sake of being unique is kind of silly.

I mean if you achieve "uniqueness" then your unique just like the other 300 million unique people...doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I have one of the Antec cases as well...I got mine about a year ago and thought I had a relatively original case until they started coming up everywhere :(

The reason I don't like them & don't want one is because I'm sick of seeing them everywhere. They've become the DEFAULT modding PC. Every single Mod gallery out there is filled with Antec/clones. It's like hearing the same song over & over, every hour 24/7.

They're nice cases & function well, but I'm just sick of seeing them in every new "Check out my new case" thread, etc.... let me guess - Black Antec/clone with a side window & blue LEDS.

But thats my opinion comming from a modder's perspective, I'd rather see a bit more uniqueness & creativity. Of course this doesn't apply to someone who just wants a good case & doesn't want to trick it out.

Well, I just finished building 150 computer systems for a local church... all of them were built on a mini tower Antec. Personally, I am using a SkyHawk Aluminum case... it was very inexpensive, and pretty nice, good quality.

Antec is a very popular case manufacturer, and I can not blame anyone for building a system on that particular case design.

Of course they are popular. They take an 18" Tall Case and design it for the maximum amount of room as possible, heck its one of the few mid-towers that can house an SMP board!:

http://www.antec-inc.com/pdf/plus1060.pdf

Antec-Rep: The only thing I have against the cases is the door. granted there are door-less models, but I personally would like to see the 5.25" panel to be flush with the bottom vents. If that's just me don't worry 'bout it, :D:D

:D I just bought an SX-1035B for $99 at CompUSA today, schweet looking, affordable, and lots of room inside.

Back