• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouse in Debian?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

engjohn

I cannot get Debian to see my mouse, I am not too familiar with Debian (all my linux experance has been on redhat/mandrake).
I have installed a vanilla debian 3.0 (woody)
I have a Microsoft intellemouse optical
and a Linksys KVM.

I have no issues with RedHat/Mandrake/XP/2k and this setup just debian???

am I missing something?

First, try using an old ball type mouse to see if it works, or plugging the mouse directly into the box instead of the KVM. If it works, then you know that either the mouse is the problem or the KVM is the problem.
Second: What version of X are you running. I have an optical mouse, and one time I configured X to use a microsoft (something) protocol for the mouse, instead of the PS/2 protcol and the same thing happened to me. Check your XF86Config file, and looking under devices (I think) and it should tell you. Or just run xf86config and make a new one with the PS/2 protcol. You might also check and see if for some wierd reason mouse support isn't compiled in the kernel.

Hope that helps

An ms intellemouse uses IMPS/2 so make sure you're using that. Also check to make sure you're using the correct device, since it's PS/2 you want to use /dev/psaux

If it's USB then write back and I'll tell ya how to set that up, I don't feel like typing it right now.

Instead of rerunning xf86config you can just edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and look for the mouse section, it's pretty straight forward.

$su
$password

#modconf

select kernel/drivers/usb
+hid
+uhci (depends on board...you'll know if it works or not.)
+usb-ohci (same)
+usb-uhci (same)
+usbcore
+usbkbd
+usbmouse

select kernel/drivers/input
+input
+keybdev
+mousedev

exit
exit

Modconf will add those to /etc/modules and probe those devices for you.

Make sure your mouse protocol in XF86Config-4 is
/dev/input/mice

For the Intellimouse Optical I use
ExplorerPS/2 for mouse driver (In XF86Config-4)
7 Buttons and ZAxisMapping 6 7

Then I have a little script that loads with X to enable all buttons and proper wheel scrolling.

#!/bin/sh
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"

ok here goes, I do not have X installed, it is for a server system.
I have tried to use the imps2, ms, ms3, autops2, all of em(for gpm).
It is a usb mouse, but it is using the usb to ps/2 converter plugged into the KVM. (as far as the system is concerned it is ps2)

Although I think that gpm is not loading... I do a ps -x |grep gpm and nothing is there... same for ps -A |grep gpm ??? No matter how many times I restart it...

Did you install gpm? I don't use it, but I think is you just type it as root it will run, then you can put it into a start up script

yes gpm is installed, it even has the config tools, just nothing....
well now is shows up in ps -x, but I still cannot get it working with a normal mouse...

I would really love to replace about 50 Mandrake servers with Debian (I LOVE apt-get), but I NEED a mouse

Last edited:
GRRRR!!!!
Now it works with a normal mouse AFTER A REBOOT! GRRR!

parkan said:
GPM is very problematic. I always use the kernel input core tree and mknod for my mouse.

tell me a little more about this...

I'll tell you who that guy on your avatar is, the brows are really creeping me out! ;)

Seriously thouhg, I'll get back with details tomorrow, when I have a bit of free time.

Where does it assume that?

It merely states that you "will need" the following modules...

Parkan, just once I'd appreciate you knock off the condescending attitude and actually contribute something positive - instead of arbitrary.

Back