• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going for a peltier... Advices!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asmodean

Check my signature for my config.

I'm starting to get more and more lockups nowadays, due to higher ambient temperatures, so I've decided to go for a peltier & possibly watercooling. Is a 80W@12v peltier enough to keep the AMD cool? Specs follow: 80,0W 16,1V 8,0A DT71°C 40x40x3,6mm

Should I go for the watercooling or is my PEP66T enough to drain those watts off the peltier?

Also, where can I find radiate.exe, to calculate the thermal output of the CPU? Or some such?

Forgot this: can I use my shimm with a peltier or do I ditch it?

asmodean(r) (Apr 30, 2001 01:05 a.m.):
Check my signature for my config.

I'm starting to get more and more lockups nowadays, due to higher ambient temperatures, so I've decided to go for a peltier & possibly watercooling. Is a 80W@12v peltier enough to keep the AMD cool? Specs follow: 80,0W 16,1V 8,0A DT71°C 40x40x3,6mm

Should I go for the watercooling or is my PEP66T enough to drain those watts off the peltier?

Also, where can I find radiate.exe, to calculate the thermal output of the CPU? Or some such?

Forgot this: can I use my shimm with a peltier or do I ditch it?
Watercooling is always better with a pelt. The PEP might work but you would be at the ragged edge of it's effectiveness. I think a shim is always a good idea if you dont want to chip your chip, just make sure it doesnt short out any of the bridges. You can find Radiate here.

no, that would only be true if the heat transfer surfaces were perfect. trust me on that one, my p3 700@1001 just barely stayed under ambient with my 72 watt pelt. unless my pc crashed and the cpu did nothing then it dropped really quick...

you also gotta remember those figures that it produces arent at full load. it can really vary. altho your main problem would be the hsf not being able to cool the pelt down which is what would really be keeping your cpu wamr if it was really on 32 watts and you had a 72 or 80

Thanks, now I got a better idea what I'm about to do... Maybe in a month or so, tight on cash...

I think you have the "cart before the horse". Try straight water cooling first. If you still want the temp lower, then consider a peltier.

Hoot

If you want a prepaired kit for a pelt. Than this site might be good for you. 35 bucks and all the materials you need don't sound bad to me.

www.leufkentechnologies.com

While I would suggest water cooling these kits do work with a pep66.

Sounds feasible to try pure water cooling first... Maybe I'll try that. I can get a kit for about €100, possibly cheapest I can go... Will not order abroad, no credit card, don't trust mail THAT much... Oh well, only time will tell...

Be carefull with pelt's. I just used 'Radiate' to calc your cpu's power output and its about 70W. To effectivly cool a cpu you need a pelt with a 'Qmax ' (rating) around twice the cpu heat output. This means you need to run a 140W pelt. To power such a beast you need to run it at optimum voltage (around 15V) and you need a good water cooling system, no air cooler will cope.
Your 80W pelt is only rated 80W when run at 16.1V (check the spec), at 12V it's max load would be about 50W (and even then you would get no cooling effect)
Put it on your t-bird and you will fry your chip for sure.
Overall I agree with the previous post's try water cooling first.

Thanks Badger! I didn't know I needed that much wattage for pelts. I calculated the heat output of my tbird too... Freaking high.

I'm going to order that watercooling kit today, maybe... Possibly should wait till next week, I can do some serious researching, as I get my ADSL finally.

Thanks a lot everbody for your input on this matter!

Back