• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help on this...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marcus75

Hello !!

I recently bought a new motherboard, SOLTEK 75 KAV, a processor, AMD Duron 750, and the Thermaltake Super Orb.

The problem I have is that I belive that the frequent lockups in games is because the CPU is overheating.
Before I recently removed one of the sides on the ATX chassi i would, according to VIA HARDWARE MONITOR have a temp of 53 degrees in Windows without anything special on. After i removed the side it dropped to 45 degrees.

I also think that the Geforce 32meg MX card is giving away alot of heat.
Now i would like advises on what to buy to get the temp down without having the casing open.

Advices not to extreme since I have a limited budget and not plan to overclock it yet.
So i would appreciate all the advice you guys can give me !!!

Thanks alot !!
Marcus

Another thing btw.
I have three power outputs for the fan on the motherboard.
Since the fan uses two of them wich one should i use ?
I´m VERY new at this things i know and i would like to learn more.

Marcus75 (May 01, 2001 12:39 p.m.):
Another thing btw.
I have three power outputs for the fan on the motherboard.
Since the fan uses two of them wich one should i use ?
I´m VERY new at this things i know and i would like to learn more.

You can use the 3 to 4 pin adaptor to connect one of the Orb fans to the power supply. What kind of case and how many case fans can/do you have in it?

Tachyon (May 01, 2001 12:41 p.m.):
You can use the 3 to 4 pin adaptor to connect one of the Orb fans to the power supply.

I´m not sure what u mean about that ?
I have connected the fan to the marked FAN1, FAN3
And i think FAN2 is vacant.

About the other thing. I only got the fan och the cpu, the one on the Geforce card and the one in the power supply.

I would add a case fan in the front of the case, to draw air in, and at least one in the back(near the CPU) to draw air out. I have two in the back, one in the front, and the ThermalTake Mini-Super Orb.
Good Luck! Keep Cool!

The superorb could be a problem, definately add a fan in the lower front to push air in, and one in the upper back to suck air out, use adapters if the connection is not right. I have a Gorb and hove found out that the little fan in the middle does not work too well, it just moves the air around, insted of really getting rid of it-id change the HS and add the fans-gaurentee to fix the problem-and then youll be set for future overclocks

Now i bet you guys think im really stupid but what do you mean with the HS in

"insted of really getting rid of it-id change the HS and add the fans-gaurentee to fix the problem-and then youll be set for future overclocks"

Thanks in advance !!

Greetings...
The "HS" acronym we use refers to your HeatSink. It's that big piece of aluminum sitting on your cpu. In your case, the Thermaltake SuperOrb. It's also referred to as a "HSF" or HeatSink/Fan combo. Now as to your heat problems... did you use any type of thermal medium between your HSF and your cpu? (thermal grease, tape, etc.) I didn't think the Thermaltakes came w/ any tape on the bottom, so I'm not sure. If you didn't use anything, you really should. A heatsink directly on the cpu die isn't an efficient way to transfer heat. Also, it really sounds like you need some exhaust and intake fans. Maybe, some 80mm case fans, one sucking air in, another blowing it out. One thing I really like is a Slot cooler I got just like this one. It mounts in one of your expansion slots. I put mine right under my GeForce2 MX.
Peace!! Good luck.

Back