• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapped ThermoEngine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tachyon

I just read on another forum that lapping the ThermoEngine gave much better performance. Has anyone lapped theirs and have results?

I lapped the one I borrowed (hollow type), but I did not do a "before" measurement. Sorry. Running a Tbird at 80W, using the 26cfm YS-Tech Fan (from my FOP-32), it delivered .30c/w. That was using a type T thermocouple in the base of the ThermoEngine, resting on top of the core. I would expect it to do better with a faster 60mm fan, or an adapted 80mm fan.

Hoot

If any cooler bottom surface is not entirely smooth - it will benefit from lapping.

This is also true of heatsinks that are unflat on the bottom - they will benefit from lapping.

As such my answer would be that YES, the thermo engine, if unflat and unsmooth - the Thermo Engine will benefit from lapping.

Back