• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just thought I'd let you all know

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
I found myself a lone cruncher in one of my computer science classes today. Such a waste of work units...

Anyways, I think I convinced him to join our team here. And best of all, his main cruncher is a dual p4 xeon 2Ghz. He said he completes WUs in about an hour on average...only running one instance of seti. This means he'll hopefully be busting out a WU every 30 mins.

So, just because I can no longer afford to keep my puter on and use up extra juice doesn't mean I'm not trying to contribute.

That's great - hope he joins. I'm not sure about his times though. I owned an identical unit and it averaged about 3.5 hours per unit running one client per cpu.

Yeah... 1hr sounds kinda low to me.... Perhaps you could persuade him to run the benchmark so we can see how fast it is, and if it's stable. I'd hate to see a waste of possible ET data.... Besides, if he does get 1hr times, he'll own the database! What a great reason to get him to run it! :)

JigPu

maybe he's running hyperthreading and can complete 4 in 4 hours, not 1 in one hour. my 2.26 oc'd to 2.8 can do them in just under 3 hours..

He's smoking something.
...not WU's.

2 Xeon DP 2.0's will not do 1 WU every 1 hour or 4 WU in 4 Hours. A 2.2 will average 4 WU's about every 5.5 Hours. That's running .NET Enterprise RC-1 which is optimized for HyperThreading. That's about 5 minutes/WU faster than W2K Advanced Server. The real advantage for HyperThreading is with the larger cached MP's.

If he's only doing one at a time, what's he doing with the other processor?

Last edited:
Greg M said:
If he's only doing one at a time, what's he doing with the other processor?

When I told him he can run 2 instances of seti to make use of the other processor, he seemed a bit surprised. I think he just didn't know you can run 2 instances to use 2 cpus.

Krusty said:

When I told him he can run 2 instances of seti to make use of the other processor, he seemed a bit surprised. I think he just didn't know you can run 2 instances to use 2 cpus.
the main reason to run 1 client per cpu is b/c seti@home isn't multithreaded! therefore, it can only use one cpu at a time for every single cpu. that's why since 1 client can only use 1 cpu, being having 2-4 cpus in a system, you could run 2-4 client at the same time.

Back