• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An Orb Heatsink worth its salt ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wild_andy_c

NAKED Overclockers Unite! Senior
I got from Thermaltake by air freight today delivery of the Thermaltake Copper Mini Orb. I had been using coolers based upon the loud as hell delta fan - the FOP38 and WBK38 being the two coolers that'd graced my die this week.

Generally I would not use an Orb cooler on a diamond of a chip such as a Thunderbird or a Duron, however this copper injected unit has well and truly surpassed all of my expectations.

This is an exception to the Orb rule.

What do others think - lets debate !

I like it too. It's small and performs alright. Although vibrates my case a little - but my motherboard isn;t screwed in properly...

I got the same temp as I do with a thermongine using the default fan on it.

I'm still a little suspicious of it's results, it has a huge block of copper that you would expect to retain heat like mad unless it was hollow like the thermoengine and the aluminium fins don't look up to much and the idea of a 15cfm or so fan cooling copper doesn't seem right

Phil (May 02, 2001 04:54 p.m.):
I'm still a little suspicious of it's results, it has a huge block of copper that you would expect to retain heat like mad unless it was hollow like the thermoengine and the aluminium fins don't look up to much and the idea of a 15cfm or so fan cooling copper doesn't seem right

..but does work very well - hence my surprise, hence my posting.

I suspect that the pins on top of the copper block help dissipate the heat from the slug.

Yeah - but what phil was stating is the fact that copper holds heat better than aluminium - hence a fan pushing more would be better.

The fan actually pushes 23.1cfm - not the 15cfm Phil states

Got mine yesterday. Cleaned off the goop. Removed my Slocket and dismounted the lapped Gorb. Cleaned off all the AS. The bottom of the heatsink is very smooth, BTW. Reapplied. Mounted Mini Copper Orb (someone make up an abbreviation for this, please).

My full load temps of my 750E at 1GHZ (2.1v) dropped from average 41C to 36C but the case was vibrating.

Removed the old fan from Gorb and swapped onto the Copper Orb. Temps rose to 37C but no vibration. I think the new fans which spin at 5400rpm against my normal Gorb's 5000 may be slightly unbalanced or just too fast.

So, bottom line, with the same fan as a Golden Orb, Mini Copper Orb takes four degrees off my temps.

Wow I had no idea that an Orb could perform well! I still think I would rather have a loud 37cfm fan on that bad boy! somebody try out that CAK from globalwin. I better buy one too. does the copper orb fit on tight flip chip mobos(370's)? somebody said they are small.

Sounds like ThermalTake has done their homework on this one....Wild Andy is usually one of the first to recommend throwing an Orb out the window. If he says it works, it must.....

None of you who have gotten one mentioned a retail price for one of these (I'm happy with the Alpha, but someone else looking for a new hsf might want to know.). How much is the asking price?

Mr B

As you know Mr B - I have pretty much every fan on the market here - mas such you also know I hate Gorbs - but actually like this fan. I removed an Alpha 6035 MUC to put this baby on!!

Quiet and cool ....and gimmicky!!! Just like I've always said! Playing games and listening to winamp at 1525Mhz is not a problem in the slightest at 2.10v (T-Birds thermal stability and durability far outweighs that of celeron)

Back