• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how often should i reboot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't see any need to reboot that unless you have a problem. I've had some win2000 boxen up for over a year at a time. Right now I've got a win2k box that has been running 24/7 since March and I haven't noticed anything unusual.

There should be no problem. NT Kernal manages memory pretty good...

PS: On Zouo's link, check out the Linux uptimes. Ownage. I know skip had his server up for like 3/4 of a year.

jdmcnudgent said:
thanks guys, was just wondering if rebooting had any advantages.:)
Yeah - gives you a chance to remove your face from the screen and look around the room ;)

TC said:
Yeah - gives you a chance to remove your face from the screen and look around the room ;)

LOL!

I never shutdown my systems! The only thing that bothers me is my water pump has been running 24/7 for about 8 months!
This shows my LAN connection being the P4 2.4 system was last restarted for some reason i don't remember.

lan.jpg

Uh...
I realize I'm late to the party, and this may sound like a stupid question (although I don't see the info in this thread), but what OS are you running?

Greg M said:
Uh...
I realize I'm late to the party, and this may sound like a stupid question (although I don't see the info in this thread), but what OS are you running?
I think he originally had a screen shot - it was 2k or xp I believe.

Once an hour at minimum, more often if Win95.

Actually, I've had a Win95 laptop running for about 20 days, no reboot - and then the battery came loose.

My 98SE Pentium has broken 30 days.

My main rig has broken 14 days.

And right now, that same laptop (now running 98SE) has broken 50 days.

Other comp runs about 6 weeks between reboots, last time I had to reboot because it lost network settings for some reason and I couldn't get them back...

Uptime record on that comp is somewhere around 6 weeks 6 days and some odd hours... Of course it's crunching 24/7. :)

ON ONE OF MY RIGS I GOT WIN98 AND SOMETIMES AFTER RUNNING APPLICATIONS ON IT I HAVE TO REBOOT THAT MACHINE CAUSE I'M GETTING LIKE 77 Cycles per flop instead of 6.

with my win xp cruncher i only reboot after system restore

ONLY when i have power outages and my ups fails (runs outta juice) or when i upgrade and xp tells me to upgrade... which i seam to still put off for a few days :)

Back in my tech support days,
I used to tell people that every few hours was too much,
but every few months wasn't often enough...
somewhere in the middle was about right... ( most peeps were on 98)

I have had my Win2k box running for several weeks at a time, but i play plenty of games on it, so the occasional reboot seems to help...

Tony

Back