• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I know if a chip is "bad"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiseass

I have the 2200+ xp that I've been trying to get working with my KG7-Raid.

Got the latest bios, works fine with the 1.0 and 1400....but the 2200 won't even POST.

I tried putting the 2200 in another computer and it won't even post there.,

I'm not sure if the other machine will handle the 2200 (it's a KT7)
but shouldn't I at least be able to boot to a lower speed setting or at least get into the bios of that machine?

I can't even do that.

Though I'm not at all sure that a 2200+ would POST in something as old as a KT7, the fact that it won't in your KG7 with the latest BIOS doesn't sound good.
Do you have any other reasons to think it might be bad? That is, is it new, and wouldn't POST straight out of the box, even though you mounted the heatsink properly?
Have you tried clearing CMOS?

I just bought it from the local computer show here from a reputable dealer. It's an OEM (all they had left) and yeah the Heatsink is seated and seems to be alright...I'm going to try re-flashing the bios again, perhaps there was something werong with it.

okay checking ABITs site again and according to this if I'm reading it correctly the latest bios only gives support to the 2100+

Here is the link.

The bios from 4/11/02 gives 2100+, the latest from 6/10/02 doesn't mention at all any higher speeds.

But shouldn't I be able to get it to post at a lower speed then?

I haven't been keeping up with XP CPU's, especially something as expensive as an XP 2200+! But I think there is a good chance that it may be sufficiently different that it will not POST with out a BIOS written specifically for it.
As an example of the same sort of thing, I have a socket 7 motherboard that will POST with a K6-2, but not with a K6-2+.

expensive? It was 161 at the local show :p

Not that expensive if you ask me :p

Is it that new that Abit possibly doesn't have a BIOS for it yet?

I would guess they would have one as soon as the chip is released.

Expensive is relative. That is more than I could spend on a CPU.
It'd be nice if they were ready for the 2200+, but it looks like they aren't. It may have taken them by surprise that it didn't work.

hmm I'll email them and find out for sure...perhaps it did take them by surprise..

I noticed that the links for the KG7-Raid bios and such aren't working.

I'll keep ya posted.

I don't think the chip is bad, it's probably the KG7 not being compatible with those high multipliers. The KR7A which is a bit newer than the KG7 won't even support the T-Bred locked. You need to unlock it so it utilizes a lower multiplier (12.5 and under), because it can't take the 13x multiplier. You need to unlock the 5th L3 bridge to unlock the 2200+. Run a search, it's a very popular thread.

Back