• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

here's a sensory solution- anyone got time to answer a coupla questions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Taylor

Here's my temp sensor.
[img="[URL]http://www.n2.net/tginther/oc/cooling/t.jpg[/URL]"]

I got a pair at Fry's for $25.

They never read within about 1/2 deg. C. of each other.

but, they both change by the same amount when I change things.

So I can use them to accurately measure change in temp.

So here's my question:

I'm makine a baseline for my new box, benching before doing any tweaks. It's a 500 mhz cpu running at 500 mhz. I'm using the generic cooler I bought with the cpu.

Nothing overclocked yet, but imagine my surprise when:

The temp between the sink and the top of the cpu stays right around 30.7, when the machine's just sitting there doing nothing. I fire up Sandra's burn in wizard, and instanly the climb begins, after a few minutes it hits 59.9 and I pull the side of the case off. Temp drops and hovers between 55.7 and 56.2, up and down, following the cycle of the cpu benchmarks I'm running.

So the questions:

Am I correct in assuming that 60 deg. C is too hot? Or 55 for that matter?

Can I assume that since the temps stabilized with the cover off, I can stabilize them with the cover on by adding a case cooling fan?

Can anyone recommend a thermostat type of hardware solution which will automatically turn fans on and off ? I've seen one at Heatsink Factory. Anyone try it? Any others?

TIA -Taylor

Taylor (May 04, 2001 01:47 a.m.):
Here's my temp sensor.
[img="[URL]http://www.n2.net/tginther/oc/cooling/t.jpg[/URL]"]

I got a pair at Fry's for $25.

They never read within about 1/2 deg. C. of each other.

but, they both change by the same amount when I change things.

So I can use them to accurately measure change in temp.

So here's my question:

I'm makine a baseline for my new box, benching before doing any tweaks. It's a 500 mhz cpu running at 500 mhz. I'm using the generic cooler I bought with the cpu.

Nothing overclocked yet, but imagine my surprise when:

The temp between the sink and the top of the cpu stays right around 30.7, when the machine's just sitting there doing nothing. I fire up Sandra's burn in wizard, and instanly the climb begins, after a few minutes it hits 59.9 and I pull the side of the case off. Temp drops and hovers between 55.7 and 56.2, up and down, following the cycle of the cpu benchmarks I'm running.

So the questions:

Am I correct in assuming that 60 deg. C is too hot? Or 55 for that matter?

Can I assume that since the temps stabilized with the cover off, I can stabilize them with the cover on by adding a case cooling fan?

Can anyone recommend a thermostat type of hardware solution which will automatically turn fans on and off ? I've seen one at Heatsink Factory. Anyone try it? Any others?

TIA -Taylor

Yes, it's 60°C for sure. You don't obstuct heattransfer by putting your probe right between the core and cooler, they need to have perfect contact to exchange heat! You're sure there is enough thermal paste on you CPU? And I also like to know what kind of CPU it is, amd, type, intel?

That matters quite a lot, because of the wattage they are rated and the way you over clock them (and the consequences to your heat production). Overclocking a CPU that is running 60°C is a BAD idea! Fist get you temps ok, below 50°C if you want to make a chance for a normal overclock. Please tell me how you measured that tems, it can help us further. Best way is to press it to heassink base, without obstructing much airflow. And if you don't have ANY casefan yet (except for the PSU fan), you'd better get yourself one soon and let it run anytime, it's worth it! Go for a normal 80mm fan, you won't regred it!

Succes!

Back