• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quietest PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I also have an Enermax (dual fan) and it's extremely quiet. In all honesty, sometimes I wonder if the fan is actually running. :)

glad u said that about the enermax im about to buy 1 i want a very quiet watercooled setup right now with my h20 my psu is hella noisy generic 300w

I got a EG365P-VE(FCA) today. It's not truly silent, but it's better than generic ones.

Zalman got my vote, cause you are paying extra for Zalman, if you want the quietest, you can change to a 12db pabst fan, believe me, 20db fans are actually quite loud comparing to 12db ones.

The fans on the computers at my school are so quiet, you honestly can't hear them. Everything is quiet... you cant tell a difference between the system being on or off.

-YB

is there a big quality difference between enermax and antec? it seems like most people prefer antec but enermax is so much quieter..

What's the quietest non-watercooled PSU?

Not to change the topic or anything BUT:

Who sells watercooled PSU? I am interested. (I know some people have done it themselves but I have never seen a company selling them)

Thank you!

My enermax is pretty quiet considering it has an 80mm and 92mm fan. It certainly isn't the quietest PSU on the market, but it's near silent to me.

I dug through the archives and found information on a site in german that sells watercooled PSUs but they still have fans so it is not what I am looking for.

I am looking for something like what Bladerunner did.

NoKtEm said:
is there a big quality difference between enermax and antec? it seems like most people prefer antec but enermax is so much quieter..

The way I see it, the Enermax and Antec debate can be compared to the AMD and Intel debate. Each have their own pros and cons, and you're always going to get people who think that Antec/Enermax/Intel/AMD are the cause of all things evil in the world, while at the same time saying the one they own will solve all things evil in the world. :D

*coughIntelSuckscough*
(just kidding!)

you know what you could do, find a review on what the highest temp you can keep your psu at is before it starts to do some damage, then stick a temp sensor in any psu you buy... then get a fan in there that has a speed control (or you can use a rheobus)

Some of the PSUs that I work with... you can't hear them at all, and I've heard tons of them. So really, you have your options open, many brands have the fans running so slow that you can't hear it unless you are right up next to it with your ear.

Just out of curiosity though, why do you (or anyone else for that matter) care so much about having something the ABSOULTE quietest it can be? I mean I can see wanting something to be quiet because when you sit at a computer for a long period of time you don't want to be bothered with a loud humming the whole time. But to do research on making sure that EVERYTHING upon EVERYTHING is the absolute most possible quiet just seems a bit too far to me.

I guess it's all a matter of opinion though.

DaedalusX said:
you know what you could do, find a review on what the highest temp you can keep your psu at is before it starts to do some damage, then stick a temp sensor in any psu you buy... then get a fan in there that has a speed control (or you can use a rheobus)

Some of the PSUs that I work with... you can't hear them at all, and I've heard tons of them. So really, you have your options open, many brands have the fans running so slow that you can't hear it unless you are right up next to it with your ear.

Just out of curiosity though, why do you (or anyone else for that matter) care so much about having something the ABSOULTE quietest it can be? I mean I can see wanting something to be quiet because when you sit at a computer for a long period of time you don't want to be bothered with a loud humming the whole time. But to do research on making sure that EVERYTHING upon EVERYTHING is the absolute most possible quiet just seems a bit too far to me.

well I'd appreciate your suggestions, if any, on some specific quiet fans I can get to replace the factory fans in my Enermax. I'm also curious about the particular PSUs whose fans you can't hear -- I know my Enermax is definitely not quiet enough that you can't hear it.

It's not that it has to be the absolute quitest, just quiet enough so that I no longer notice the noise. Recently I've noticed that hearing the fans does take away my concentration a bit.

I bought a Zalman fan from Maplin which I used to replace my PSU fan. I used 3 inline resistors also from Maplin and now the psu cannot be heard. I have all my other fans running of the 5v bus eccept the processor whisch uses the Zalman resistor to slow it down. My system runs fine. Temps are;
Processor = temp sensor allways reads 52.C (poss broken i don`t know)
GPU = 37.C on 12v 45.C on 5v
(i upgraded to thermaltake all copper cooler on gforce)
The air out from my PSU is about 9.C hotter than the surounding air.
Hope any of this helps.
Next thing I will do is build or buy a metal box to quiten the harddrive.

Last edited:
Berenices said:
I bought a Zalman fan from Maplin which I used to replace my PSU fan. I used 3 inline resistors also from Maplin and now the psu cannot be heard. I have all my other fans running of the 5v bus eccept the processor whisch uses the Zalman resistor to slow it down. My system runs fine. Temps are;
Processor = temp sensor allways reads 52.C (poss broken i don`t know)
GPU = 37.C on 12v 45.C on 5v
(i upgraded to thermaltake all copper cooler on gforce)
The air out from my PSU is about 9.C hotter than the surounding air.
Hope any of this helps.
Next thing I will do is build or buy a metal box to quiten the harddrive.

Thanks. What model is your Zalman fan and how did you apply the resistors?

Zalman fan is ultra quite 80 mm, model A51AA. Have a look at the Maplin website ( http://www.maplin.co.uk )they do loads of cooling products. My resistors are also Maplin model A45AA. I know that I should have made them up myself but I didn`t have the time this month I`ve been working nights and they seemed ideal for £2 each.

Back