• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A dumb question??? - Probably.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dayv

Registered
You probably think this a dumb question, but how much thermal paste do you use.
The processor is a big black square with a little black square in the middle. Do I cover it all or just the small square? How thick is right?
It's not such a dumb question If I was to get it wrong.

That's not a dumb question at all. I'd say put a dot of compound the size of a BB on one end of the little little black square ( aka core ) and spread it around evenly. If that is too much, it will exude out once you put your HSF on. If the HSF has a thermal pad on it, remove it and any residue it leaves behind. If the surface on the HSF is rough, consider lapping it for a better mate to the core. How-to instructions abound.
Good Luck

Hoot

Thanx heaps for the info, I feel a lot more confident at not stuffing this up. All I ever seem to read about is HEAT-BAD, and thought oh S#@T what if I mess up. So thanx.,
Hooter, its an AMD chip, thanx.

Let us know how it goes. Do a srearch on Lapping. Makes a world of difference.
Welcome! and good luck

Remember the only dumb questions are those left unasked. Everyone at this forum is very understanding and always willing to help newbies (cause we still are).

I lapped my P3125 Alpha and got a 0 degree difirence in temps! WOW!

Actually I just really suck at lapping! I have no patience at all.

Definitely not a dumb question, it is one that needs to be asked more often. If you read carefully you will discover that some warrantees are void if you get thermal compound anywhere on the processor except the die ( the small part in the middle ) Also some are electrically conductive as well as thermally conductive, this could cause problems with the bridges (those other things on the processor). Arctic Silver and most of the better compounds are not electrically conductive. The size of a BB or smaller depending on the processor is about right. You want enough to cover the die, but not ooze all over.

Dayv, just keep in mind the point of thermal grease or tape (tape sucks, don't use it), is to fill in the minor imperfections between the contact of the heatsink and the core of the cpu. Lapping it will get rid of some of these imperfections and provide a better contact. This is basicly stuff you've been told already, I just wanted to explain why.

[Also some are electrically conductive as well as thermally conductive, this could cause problems with the bridges (those other things on the processor). Arctic Silver and most of the better compounds are not electrically conductive.

AS is slightly capacitive

Ridenow (May 08, 2001 06:14 p.m.):
Arctic Silver and most of the better compounds are not electrically conductive.

From what I've read, Arctic silver does conduct electicity. I could be wrong but that what I was always lead to believe.

Tachyon (May 08, 2001 06:23 p.m.):
[Also some are electrically conductive as well as thermally conductive, this could cause problems with the bridges (those other things on the processor). Arctic Silver and most of the better compounds are not electrically conductive.

AS is slightly capacitive

Tachyon is absolutely correct. I have heard that if you use to much it can cause a problem. If you want to test electrical conductivity you can put a dab on a nonconductive surface and test it with a meter. Not sure how to test for capacitance.

When in doubt do research. Quote from http://www.arcticsilver.com/as2.htm

"Negligible electrical conductivity.
Arctic Silver II was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity. It is only electrically conductive in a thin layer under extreme compression."

THANX for all your help people, its been really great

Back