• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

multiplier question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

res0r9lm

If I had a an xp1900+ as cpu0 and a xp1600+ as cpu1 would the cpus use the default multiplier of the xp1900+?

I haven't got a dually board but I have 3 seprate single cpu boxes I mainly use for DC and would like to consolidate everything into 2 boxes and I can make good use out of the extra socket. I might be getting asus board found one for $150 have to wait a week or 2 due to lack of funds. my goal is to have 2 dually boxes all I think I need is the boards and another cpu and hsf right now the have 2 1800+'s and am replacing my tbird with a xp next week but haven't made up my mind which one yet

The XP1600+s are the best deal...they are cheap and easily can be made into a MP...plus they OC VERY well I hear....

Spec

The XP1600+s are the best deal...they are cheap and easily can be made into a MP...plus they OC VERY well I hear....

But even if you mod the XPs, they miss a few things that makes a MP a MP. But it's up to you.

Like exactly what? A warranty? big deal.... most of us void our warranties on various computer parts fairly quickly anyway.

A multiplier/SMP unlocked XP is just as good as an MP, for all practical purposes.

sickboy, I think what Tipycol might be referring to is the fact MP's are guaranteed to do smp while xp's are not but I do believe it's very rare that xp's have a problem in this area. I will take my chances considering the price difference and if I did get one the wouldn't work I could always list it in the local paper and make a few bucks to boot. Plus I already have a couple of xp 1800+'s I have decided to get the xp 1600+ next week you just can't beat the price/proformace value.

You might want to reconsider the Asus board, though. It doesn't offer multiplier control, only FSB.

The MSI K7D Master, however, has all the overclocking goodies and is highly recommended by almost everyone who has used it. It is a great, stable, dual, overclockers board. If you wan to save some cash, get the regular K7D Master. The K7D Master-L comes with LAN and a USB 2.0 card, but costs $40-50 more.

Yep. Get the K7D master and unlock those processors. Then you can change the multiplier as much as you want AND up the FSB.

Back