• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

found some PWM Fan control chips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daemonfly

http://www.microchip.com/1010/pline/analog/anicateg/thermal/dcfan/index.htm

Found these when searching the Microchip site for some PIC info. They look rather interesting. Heres the desc from the TC642"

The TC642 is a switch mode fan speed controller for use with brushless DC motors. Temperature proportional speed control is accomplished using pulse width modulation. A thermistor (or other voltage output temperature sensor) connected to the VIN input furnishes the required control voltage of 1.25Vto 2.65V (typical) for 0% to 100% PWM duty cycle. Minimum fan speed is set by a simple resistor divider on the VMIN input. An integrated Start-Up Timer ensures reliable motor start-up at turn-on, coming out of Shutdown Mode, or following a transient fault. A logic low applied to VMIN, pin 3, causes fan shutdown. The TC642 also features Microchip Technology's proprietary FanSense ™ technology for increasing system reliability. In normal fan operation, a pulse train is present at SENSE, pin 5, indicating normal operation. A missing-pulse detector monitors this pin during normal fan operation. A stalled, open, or unconnected fan causes the TC642 to trigger its start-up timer once. If the fault persists, the FAULT output goes low, and the device is latched in its Shutdown Mode. FAULT is also asserted if the PWM reaches 100%

I might have to consider these in some future projects :) I figured I'd post the info for anyone else who might be interested.

I didn't look at the design, but you will probably still need
a power transitor on the output. Look at the reference design.

For heavy duty fan use, just add something like a IRL510 N-channel Mosfet or the IRL520N at 10A :)

Just posted the chip for anyone lookign to design their own system.

I'm going to build a full system controller with quite a few features using a 40mhz PIC, well, once I learn PIC microcontroller programming o_O

Last edited:
Back