vhs ---> dvd, advice needed

I am looking to convert my vhs tapes to dvd and am seeking advice on what to get for a video/vid capture card as well as software that will allow for editing/voice over/music/fade etc. I don't really have a budget in mind for this. If I go ahead with something like this, I'll be building a new box, cause I doubt my K6/2 350 will cut it (the wife has the xp1700+ and the kids have the duron 700). My vcr is pretty basic, stereo, rca in/out, no svideo.

Any advice on hardware/software or how to's would be appreciated.

Thanks

Helpful Senior Member Captain Slug's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Software: The only software I've actually enjoyed using and worked with sucessfully is Dazzle MainActor.
    Virtual Dub has mis-aligned the sound on anything I've edited.

Hardware: Leadtek Winfast TV2000XP Works like a charm and imports in "ready-to-burn" DVD quality

I don't have any experience with DVD-RW drives so somebody else will have to recommend one...
    ||[ Oni is a bot! ]-[ My Heatware]-[ In the event of an emergency, the nearest senior member may be used as a floatation device. ]||

the Pioneer DVDR-A04 is a pretty good DVD-RW drive

i came across this article which should be able to directly answer your question check it out

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/02...928/index.html

The title of the article is
    "Reader How Tos: A System To Convert VHS and 8 mm Tape To DVD"

hope that helps out

Processor : Intel Core i7 3770K Mobo :Asus P8Z77-VLK GPU : Gigabyte HD 7850 OC 2gb
    PSU : Corsair GS 800 Casing : CM 690 III Cooling : CM Seidon 240M CPU, 1 x 200 MM, 6 x 120 MM RAM : 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 Storage : Corsair Force GS 3 240 GB SSD Boot Drive, 5 TB+ Data Storage Display :1x42" Panasonic C10 Plasma and Dell 23" 1080p LED Speakers :Onkyo 605 with Polk Audio 5.1 Setup