• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N266-VM Overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shade00

Has anyone had any luck overclocking this board? I read a previous post about cutting the JEN jumper but I can't glean enough details to figure out how to do it. I have the 1003 BIOS... are there any options if I modify this board? Thanks!

does this board give you the options in the bios to overclock meaning the fsb settings and "or" voltage unlocking you dont need to do untill you actually get used to overclocking the cpu.

Also you have a really old bios you might wanna try going to www.asus.com and look up youre board and read up on how to update the bios if you dont know how. You really dont need to do that tho just tell me if youre board gives you fsb options .

Also what is youre whole setup cpu,ram,vid card, psu, ect ect. thanks :)

Apparently older BIOS revisions gave the options, but one had to modify jumpers on the board in order to access the options through the BIOS.

What I'm trying to figure out exactly is if any of the newer BIOS revisions support the options and what exactly I need to do to get it into jumperfree mode. The manual doesn't have any information about it.

My rig:
Athlon XP 1600+ ( About to be a Mobile Athlon XP 1800+)
512 mb PC2100
GF4 Ti4200
300w PSU
DVD, CD-RW, 40gb HD, so on.

Hiho,

first look to a manuell from A7N266 or -C -E.
The Jumperfree Mode is set by an Jumper (JEN) at all these Boards.

Now look at Asuspage A7N266-VM Picture and you see that REV. 1.00 of this Board have a JEN-Jumper.

You have REV.103, and there is the JEN- Jumper a little soldered wire (=>permanent not Jumperless) .

What to do, cut wire and paint or solder new on Jumperless like the other A7N Boards. (look Manual)
Than you can change FSB, but not Multiple that wasnt work.
Multiple change through L3, L4 and L10 Bridges on XP work.

One Prob was, that on ASUS Biosversion >1003 FSB change dont work. Grrrrrrrrr.

But someone says that at new Beta 1005 the FSB change will work.

CU.

I'll wait for someone to try the beta 1005 before I flash it. I know -I'm not very adventurous.

Thanks Dalton, and I have one more question:

Can I change the clock multiplier for an unlocked CPU without setting the board to jumperfree mode?

Danke!

i just bought this exact board YESTERDAY.... i upgraded to 1004 version of bios, and no fsb changing either... :mad: grr!!! some idiot here recommended it to me as a good overclocking board... once i find out who that was....

so now i have to mod the board? :eek: great. that's EXACLY what i wanted, NOT:mad:

anyways, i'll see what i can do today... and i'll also unlock my chip..... but if you can't change the multiplier thro bios, whats the point of unlocking it, anyone?

edit: anyone know when 1005 beta is comin out?

edit#2:
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_A/NVIDIA_Chipset/nForce_220/A7N266-VM/

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
EDIT : DO NOT USE!!! IT SCREWED UP MY MOTHERBOARD

Last edited:
I just got this board too. My JEN jumper has a soldered connect. I am going to try BIOS 1005 and 1001 when I get home. I'd REALLY like to OC this board since I got it with an AGOIA Y 1600+

The board revision is 1.05 I think (Will double check later).

Please post your results!

-Rav

Let us know how it goes with BIOS 1005. I would love to be able to overclock on this board.

Anyone, anyone, have an unlocked CPU on one of these? I would like to know if you can change the multiplier in the BIOS.

The OC options were still greyed out with 1.01 and 1.05 BIOS's. The board is rev 1.05. Can you give me more information on the jumpers that need to be soldered? Heres what mine looks like:

+ + +
=== +
[J] *
[J] *
[AGP AGP AGP]

Where === is the soldered pins, +'s are solder dots, *'s are pins, [J] are jumpered pins.

-Rav

i have the 1.xx version of the board, and i don't know which are the JEN jumpers.. i don't have them in the manual either

the only jumpers that i have in the manual are:

1) cpu:dram frequency setting (bsel0, bsel1)
2) keyboard wake up
3) usb device wake-up
4) clear rtc ram (clear_cmos)

that's it!!! help

edit: just to make sure, were talking about the a7n266-VM right?

Last edited:
The JEN jumpers are the nonexistant ones near the FSB jumper. The HDD connector is at the end of the rows of pins that the reset sw, power led, etc are at (left side).

And yes, the A7N266-VM

-Rav

lol, now, if i only knew where the fsb jumper was....

ps, is it a bad idea disconnecting jumpers when the power is on?

edit: -its ok, power doesn't need to be off, found out the risky way
i got the hdd led... they call it IDE LED... should've thought of that.... i was wondering what IDLE LED was for... and then i had my connector in backwards :eh?:

also, what is the SMT jumper in between the power button and the message led?

and SMB in the row beside the battery? if only the jumpers section of the asus website wasn't under construction ....

Last edited:
@Rav

not Jumperless

+ + +
=== +
Jumper
Jumper

Jumperless

+ + +
+ ===
Jumper
Jumper

You cut soldered wire, solder or paint new, than you have new Biosoptions.
Try newest Bios, it should work.

My Duron 1200@9X143 run stable, more not because Ram isn't good enough.

where abouts is the non existant JEN jumper anyways? im on 1.xx version of this board
once i know where the FSB jumper is, i can find the JEN jumper, hopefully, then i'll modify it.... and then i'll unlock my chip if my mobo still works:rolleyes:

ah, there it is.... sry, im motheboard dumb... i never cared to look near the agp... i'll get my dad to solder it for me :D:D
THANX RAV!!!

noone answered my question still... does the bios beta 1005 from the german site make your bios german?

i killed it!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I KILLED MY 2 DAY OLD (new) MOTHERBOARD... seriously, i got it on wednesday, its friday today

this is what i did.... DO NOT FOLLOW/ATTEMPT, unless you have too much money

1) i soldered the jen jumper like described above
2) booted fine, i checked bios- no possibility to change anything - no fsb, no multiplier - and my dad checked whether we had contact in the soldering... perfect...
3) i went online, found a 1005 beta bios
4) flashed from dos, failed, the updater said that current version was still 1004... so i said OK, and
5) i restarted the computer

RESULT:
-no display on first boot after power on - nothing... no POST success beep... NOTHING!!!
-restart gives a warning SIREN thro the internal spaker- still NOTHING!!!

let me mourn....... :cry: :cry: :cry:

and learn this from my mistake:
forget about ever overclocking this board... like i said, i changed the jen jumper, cleared cmos, and the options were EXACTLY the same as before... go figure...

ps. anyone know how to use ultraviolet light to write the bios chip?

or... anyone willing to give me their bios chip (from a non-working motherboard?)

edit: if ur wondering how i wrote this, im on my athlon 500 right now... geesh this things slow

Last edited:
Sorry to hear bad news :(

Have same Prob after OC higher FSB 150.

I checked CPU and RAM by a friend, => works.

Mount it new, it works at safe mode.

Try to clear CMOS and demount Battery for a few min.

Back