• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you become a changeover folder, would you want a subteam for SETI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sub-team SETI...what a great name!

I'm IN...I really like the idea of the SETI members in one crunching TEAM helping the folders out!

I see it as a great way to help out while still maintaining our "SETI PRIDE".

I was planning on throwing my 6 crunchers over to folding as an individual when SETI goes dark..but I would rather be part of any organized SETI group that went over!

WOOHOOO~~~

Larry

Crunchers folding

1. This is a great idea! You guys are always welcome among the folding crowd.

2. The folding client works just fine. Some WU's use a different (brand new) core to be processed, and these are a little less stable. But the new core is also much better on Intel machines. My personal experience was that I had to back my overclock off by a measly 30 Mhz to keep things perfectly stable, not a big deal at all. DC is a stability test after all.

3. Subteam or single username, you decide. Team 32 only has 1 major subteam plus a few small alliances. OCSH sounds nice IMO. 32's main subteam is OC3d- the 3dmark team's folders. [Shameless plug]3dmark team crunchers are welcome to fold with OC3d.[/end shameless plug]

4. No cache. WU's are done, sent, and new ones are d/l'ed. It works just fine if you have broadband or dial-up on a seperate line. If your modem hits the main phoneline, even on a fast rig, you'll only dial out for a new WU once or twice a day at most. The process takes a couple minutes on 56k, less than 10 seconds on broadband.

Couple minutes on 56K? Just how big is a folding "WU"?

I have to go with the team name that cropped up in the other thread:

The Wasted Cycles

Though, if we go for the individually tagged names, I like S@H best.

JigPu

I would vote for one name. SETI... or something to that affect. Wouldn't that look great in there top cruncher class? ;) Free advertisment.:p

beau_safken said:
As soon as the SETI servers go down and we don't have WU's to crunch. Lets just see if the folders like the idea or not.

TC, Landshark, Norseman, Hallen, and all the big guys. I was just thinking that when they go to southern hemisphere wouldn't you need to install new software on your farm machines anyway? BTW: Could the diskless system work on folding??

Diskless systems work fine with linux for folding, a couple of our folders have written a complete how to for linux diskless clients.

If there is any info you guys need just start a thread in the folding section. We would be more than happy to help.

Joining as a subteam means you SETIers may rise into the top ten really fast. It would be a pleasure to be passed by such a dedicated group of SETIers on-loan.

We folders warmly welcome any SETIer who wishes to fold.

It benefits the whole project and the overclockers.com team (#32) in our search for cures and as such we would be overjoyed to have you guys even for a short period of time.

Thank you for considering helping us out, this is further proof to me that this really is the best online forum for computer savvy people. This place is my on-line home.

Great idea, I'll join

Subteam sounds best.

I'll would too hate to see all those cycles go empty

papounet

Back