• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you become a changeover folder, would you want a subteam for SETI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beau_safken

I didn't want to thread jack any more so this is what my idea is.

As you all know SETI will be going thru some changes and the servers at Berkeley will be down for a while. During the downtime there has been discussion about folding during the downtime. Here is my propopal to the SETI team and a thing that the folders should do before this happens.

I propose that the OC SETI team all fold for team 32 during the downtime and we should get a sub-team to differentiate ourselfs from the "real" folders. For a long time SETI and folders on this forum have been in a silent cold war for processing power. I believe that this is the golden oppritunity that we all have been waiting for. Therefore,

I also propose that there should be a friendly race for the 4 month'ish period that SETI will be down to finally see which team has more processing power and also to increase team 32's standings. Not only will this friendly race promote more WU's for team 32 but it will also help to findout which team has more crunching power.

This is a friendly proposal. We are all here to crunch or fold for the team OC. I propose this idea to help spawn a sense of teamwork and comradory betweeb the two teams.

This idea will not work unless both the SETI and folding team work together. Folders need to help create a little subcategory somewhere to differentiate SETI from Folders proper. Therefore ALL SETI members should changeover to folding to help our "other" distributed team. Only the two teams working together can do this. Lets try and make the downtime and exciting. What better than to boost our folding friends with the wasted cycles of our rigs?

One final challenge, We would need a name for this sub-team of SETI psychos...Any suggestions post below.

I'm looking to see if there is interest in this idea by the team. Please post any ideas, suggestions, comments, flames, whatever you'd like to contribute. Thanks in advance.

not a bad idea...but i have heard that there are problems with the folding client....have these been fixed? i dont see why it would not work.

This would be a cool idea.. why not post this over with the F@H peeps to get there input.

For a name we could stick with S@H team, thats simple and to the point. or go with something like ET on loan

We can all add OCSH infront or at the end of the name.....and just when the S@HII project.

As for the folding client seems that the problem is that you can't cache units.

I think it's a good idea, we Seti crunchers could take 1 name and everyone crunch on it, would be nice to see how fast we would gain ranks. :)

As soon as the SETI servers go down and we don't have WU's to crunch. Lets just see if the folders like the idea or not.

TC, Landshark, Norseman, Hallen, and all the big guys. I was just thinking that when they go to southern hemisphere wouldn't you need to install new software on your farm machines anyway? BTW: Could the diskless system work on folding??

I posted this thread in the folding section. Lets see what they say

I think it is a brilliant idea. No point in letting all those ghz of cpu power go to waste. I think you will get a very good response from all of TEAM32 :D

I believe that it's something like late January next year early febuary....thats the speculation at least. That date depends a lot on how fast the WU's get crunched and what they have left for crunching...

beau_safken said:
As soon as the SETI servers go down and we don't have WU's to crunch. Lets just see if the folders like the idea or not.

TC, Landshark, Norseman, Hallen, and all the big guys. I was just thinking that when they go to southern hemisphere wouldn't you need to install new software on your farm machines anyway? BTW: Could the diskless system work on folding??

We have a diskless system that was developed by Gator. I've never used it personally, but I understand that it works nicely. From what I've heard/read, it's a Linux distro ("Overfoldix") that runs in the RAM of the diskless clients. I don't know how much help it'll be, but here's a few links, in no particular order.
Linky 1
Linky 2
Linky 3

There are two Diskless setups that I know of:
OverFoldix(and OverCrunchix)
and the Linux Terminal Server Project network boot Farm.

Over(project name here:D) uses a cd-rom and no hard drive I believe; I haven't messed with that.

LTSP uses a central server and loads the os over ethernet wiring...and works with both DC clients.
I have it running Seti on two clients right now, but I expect it would take about a half an hour for me to get it set up for Folding when the time comes.......in a few months.

I would love to have you guys folding, during the Seti downtime. Are you planning to form one Subteam, or joining as individuals? Either way, you would be a welcome addition to the team.

Back