• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How cheap can it be made?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Braindonor

Looking to learn how to use linux and basically just screw around I need to put together a box to do this though and I want it to be as cheap as possible how cheap can I make it? :D any help would be great

I just built a computer for my girlfriend for about $330, which is probably overkill.. so if that gives you some idea on how much it would be .

GF's Computer:
K7S5A
950 Tbird
384 PC133
30 GB 5400
CD ROM
32mb DDR Radeon
Integrated AC97 Sound
NIC

Ask around for friends and see what spare parts they have.... I am doing the same thing. I will be gettings

800mhz Tbird
265MB pc133 ram
some Aopen motherboard

all for about $60-70

Then a TNT2 for $15

Black Raidmaxx case off newegg for $20

Then some KVM switch so I dont need to buy a new monitor keyboard and such....

And I am still looking around for a hard drive. I havent decided if I want to get a little 2 gig from my friend for free or get some 80GB+ off ebay for pretty cheap.

And all the rest is stuff that I have at home.

I to am in the market to build a linux box. I have the Mobo, an Intel P2 300, ~128MB or more Ram, CD ROM, Monitor, Keyboard. All this I got for free from friends and family. Just spare parts they had lying around collecting dust. I still need to find a cheap HardDrive. Something about 10 gig in size or so.

Oh and does it ever look like a motley system, at least so far. The CDRom, 19" Monitor, and keyboard all came from one of my parents old Acer's (which happen to be black) and they are sitting in a standard cheap cream colored Supercase.

I think I'm gonna go make a Duron sys those chips are pretty cheap and I've been asking around for hard drives I think the only other thing I'm going to buy is the mobo anyone have any suggestions or maybe I'll just get a 1600+ if there is a nice cheap mobo that supports it :)

There's a mobo with an integrated Duron CPU and video available for about $120 all you need is ram, a hdd, and a case. Even better you can get an Asus with integrated GeForce2 for about $80 and an XP1600 for $56 at NewEgg

Thanks for the info Ugmore I think I'm gonna go with the integrated Geforce2 and the xp 1600+ much more bang for the buck

Back