Unhappy Need Recommendation

My friend has a 1.80A + Abit BD7-RAID.

He's currently asking me whether is it worth it to upgrade to a 2.40B + Asus P4B533-E?

So what do I tell him? Stick with his current rig, buy a better HSF and overclock it? Or go ahead with the configuration he's looking at?

TIA.

Go with the Asus P4b533-e and try the 2.66 c1. Most are getting well over 3.0 fairly easy.

I'm going to disagree with the Captain. The original BD7RAID is less than a year old, and is a good board for overclocking. The 1.8A arguably has the most headroom of all the P4 chips, reaching 2.5-2.7GHz with aggressive air cooling.

Yeah, he would probably get a performance bump by upgrading to a "B" Woody. But we're talking about 500MHz tops for an outlay of about $500 in new gear, and the only place he'd see an improvement is on a benchmark score.

I don't know what other equipment he has in his setup, but I know I could find better uses for five bills on my rig.

BHD

10 Year Badge
    Off hiatus, iNET stopped advertising in MY posts.
    I agree with BHD, it's not cost- effective to do that massive an upgrade. Have him get a good HSF and show him how to O/C, you'll probably get him addicted here. Which means he will end up getting a new rig.

steve
    Abit, RIP!

It was great while it lasted, but my other home is gone.

steve

Ok. Just told him about the replies here. He says he doesn't want to overclock it. So at this point, do I ask him to stick with his 1.80A or go ahead with either a 2.40B or 2.66?

Depends on what he wants to do with his system.

Where is he running into performace problems? I don't know what else he has in his rig, but I can't think of a single desktop program that won't run well on a 1.8GHz proc. If you do digital video editing or play hardcore flight simulators, you'll save some time or pick up a few FPS by going to a 2.4-2.6GHz system. But that's it.

If he's asking if its worth upgrading, that tells me he's not having a specific problem but fears he might be missing out on something. I think that's a lousy reason to upgrade, but it his money.

Might I suggest, however, that $500 spent on a decent 21" monitor or a top of the line speaker setup will be an improvement he'll notice every time he uses his computer. Same for a good set of game controllers, or a wicked chair like a Herman Miller Aeron.

Just a thought...

BHD