• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need QUIET performance. Help me find.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Michael_Myers

Needs:

A quiet air cooled gadget to cool a Tbird 750 OC to around 900 or so??? I guess. I am not someone who is going to mess around with overclocked chips everyday etcc.etc...trying to get the last drop out of a chip. I want to put the thing in, OC-it, and see if everything stays stable, and then LEAVE IT ALONE, for at least a year or so.

Problems: I can't have a giant fan/diesel engine to cool the thing. It will be in the "living" room, where the rest of my family (naggin' wife, and kids) watches TV. I get the impression some of these fans are LOUD. I can't have that.

Also, PLEASE keep in mind, I am NOT going to OC the chip to it's highest level possible, therefore I don't think it's necessary to have the Super Duper fan, do you?

Waiting patiently for an answer. Thanks.
(ps, no nothing about fans other than they cool the chip)

Would like cheap, but reliable. Nothing fancy. (really)

Jack - I just put a response with your post in AMD chips... here is what I said about CPU coolers.... (snip)

With the heatsink I do not think you could go wrong with a GlobalWin FOP38-1, FOP32-1 or the new WBK series coolers. Beware of the units that come with a 38cfm Black label Delta fan, the fan is extremely noisy. A 60mm 26cfm YS-Tech fan works almost as well with very little noticeable noise. You will not need arctic silver; make sure that you scrape the stock thermal pad off the bottom and replace it with some generic Radioshack thermal compound. The alpha-66 series coolers are also excellent, but pricy.

Just slap that cooler on, bump the voltage up and you should be able to see 950-1000 MHz, the Duron 800 is an excellent overclocker. I have a Duron 800@1000 MHz at 1.8V on a ABIT KT7-RAID motherboard and GlobalWin FOP-32, very stable.(snip)
Cheers

With the heatsink I do not think you could go wrong with a GlobalWin FOP38-1, FOP32-1 or the new WBK series coolers. Beware of the units that come with a 38cfm Black label Delta fan, the fan is extremely noisy. A 60mm 26cfm YS-Tech fan works almost as well with very little noticeable noise. You will not need arctic silver; make sure that you scrape the stock thermal pad off the bottom and replace it with some generic Radioshack thermal compound. The alpha-66 series coolers are also excellent, but pricy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You do of course realize that to THIS newbie what you just said sounds like a mix between Hi-tech/Semi english to just down right jibberish....don't you?

LOL. I am sorry. I am reading everything in the "begginers guide" section right now. I am trying to learn all I can. And I don't mean to sound like a complete invalid, incapable of doing anything on my own, but could you or someone else post a link/links to what you mentioned above so I could "see" and read what you are talking about?

I'll get this. Hopefuly I can pitch in one day.

hehe. Sorry. Good to hear you are doing some reading.

The GlobalWin is a CPU cooler, you can find pictures and descriptions at millisec under Socket coolers. The Delta Black Label is a high speed fan that comes with some of the GlobalWin CPU coolers. It rotates at 7000 RPM and sounds like a jet engine on steriods. YS-Tech and sunon fans, which you can also find at millisec, are much quiter and preform almsot as well.

Most stock heatsinks come with a white thermal pad stuck on the bottom. Thermal pads suck. They do not transfer heat very well, defeating the purpose of the heatsink. Just scrape it off with a razor blade, mosey down to radioshack and pick up some thermal compound. It comes in a small tube for about $2. It is a thick paste that you smear onto the top of the CPU before installing your heatsink. The heatsink smashes this stuff flat and gives you much better heat transfer between the CPU and the heatsink than the stock thermal pad ever will.

Back