• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing a router...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daemonfly

Is it possible to test a router & it's port forwarding capabilities?

What if you take the WAN connection and hook it up to a seperate computer (can make static IP or DHCP), without the DSL/Cable modem? Then connect at least one PC on the LAN side and test out various servers - HTTP, FTP, etc... ?

I don't have enough operational computers to test this, and I'm about to take a hammer to the router. All needed ports are properly forwarded, etc... DMZ doesn't even work. I'm almost sure it's the router, but that doesn't matter as I have a Cisco uBR924 comming soon ($90 :))

With all the questions about routers & port forwarding, I was just wondering if there was an easy test like this to make sure you have the settings correct, and if the ISP blocks ports or not.

And while I'm at it, anyone know if Roadrunner blocks any ports? I'm downloading Mandrake Linux & will be setting up a server pretty soon. Would be a good thing to know ahead of time ;)

Last edited:
Back