• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ever seen an IBM Netfinity 3500 smoke?!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

happysmp

Registered
So I picked up this IBM netfinity 3500 (dual PII capable).
It came with a single PII266ECC. So I decide to switch them up for 2 x PII350. I figure...easy swap.

Pop em in and boot it up!!!

5 seconds later...I filled the office with the smell of burnt plastic.
Forgot to correct the voltage on the board. But wouldn't have mattered anyway...cause the MB only supports processors up to 333.

Best part...the two PII350's still work.

Ended up buying a second PII266 from ebay.
Now I want to push it!

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated
Thanks!

That is really curious as if smoke came out , I figure out that some resistor or capacitor got fuc**ed . Have you checked the integrity of the system as a whole?
btw , what was the price of the server?

Hi all, thanks for replying.

I checked the system and it appears to be fine. I'm currently running it in a remote location 24/7 as a backup fileserver.
The two PII@350 are back in their original systems and seem to run fine. All except the fan on the processor. They no longer work. There was still an odor coming from each chip last i had them. My best guess is that the plastic surrounding the chip was what smoked.

I picked up the server for about 350CAD plus the 30 bucks for the second PII@266

Back