• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got my MC-462A :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Taipan

Registered
Hey everyone, i just got my MC-462A. I'm kinda new to this stuff, so i just had some questions. First off i have an Abit KT7A-Raid mobo, 1.2 Tbird.

The Fan is already connected to the sink and has one 3pin connector and one 4 pin, why both?

There is 2 lil baggies ,one has screws, springs and 10 lil plastic washers.

2nd one has , standoffs, 5 plastic nuts and 5 plastic washers.

The one page installation guide , sucks.It also says to not put on the washers on the mobo if the holes on the mobo r already grounded, aren't all mobos holes already grounded? I mean isn't the metal around the holes mean grounded?How many washers on each?

Also the fan is a lil loose, should I tighten it?

And i don't see any rubber pads on it, like Hoot was talkin bout, that he didn't have any on his, are those the plastic washers?

Lapping- i've never lapped a sink before, so any help would be appreciated.

I also have some Artic Silver 2 comin in the mail.

Well i hope u can help me :)

1. The holes around the socket on my Abit KT7A-Raid are not grounded. They do not have the metal lining. The ones attaching the motherboard to the chassis are grounded. You have to be careful about which holes your referencing on socket A boards. Take a look at your board and you'll see what I mean.

2. The washers need to be used on insulate the metal spacers from your board.

3. The springs are used to apply the proper pressure on the cpu die.

4. Look at the overclockers front page and you'll see Joe's article that explains 90% odf what you're asking.

Taipan (May 17, 2001 03:58 p.m.):

The Fan is already connected to the sink and has one 3pin connector and one 4 pin, why both?

It is actually powered by the 4 pin connector. The 3 pin connector is so that u can monitor fan speeds in the BIOS, and for motherboards that require a fan plugged into the 3-pin connector for the motherboard to boot.

Aaron

Taipan (May 17, 2001 03:58 p.m.):
Also the fan is a lil loose, should I tighten it?
Hm...probably not necessary...though if it starts rattling like mad once you turn it on you should.
And i don't see any rubber pads on it, like Hoot was talkin bout, that he didn't have any on his, are those the plastic washers?
The rubber pads are on the cpu, not the hsf. His came off of the cpu when he degreased it.
Lapping- i've never lapped a sink before, so any help would be appreciated.
I think that Swiftec advises against lapping as they finish the bottom for you. Caveat: if there are gouges or noticable imperfections on the bottom you probably want to. There's a pretty good guide over at www.wildandyc.co.uk.

Hope this is useful for ya. :)

Tks for the reply's . As for lapping i've read a bunch of diff. views on it, i do see lines on the sink, so maybe i'll just play around with it, til someone posts diff. about it.

Back