motherboard fan headers

how many fan heades do most motherboards have... the motherboard in my dell (piece of junk) comp only has one for the cpu fan and thats it.... im planning on getting a abit bd7II, anyone know how many fan headers are on that one, also just in general too? im trying to decide whether to get fans for the motherboard headers or for power supply plugs.

they normally have 3 I believe...if you had three it would be for 1 CPU fan, 1 SYS fan(powersupply monitoring), and 1 Chasis fan header...all mobos are different, though, but that is what they are normally

Spec
    Rutgers University School of Engineering Class of 2009 Alumni

NAVY

if i wanted to i could use the powersupply one for just a chassis fan right.....

<-----planning on having 4 chassis fans+cpu fan

Inactive Super Quad Mod donny_paycheck's Avatar
    The BD7-II should have four. All the AMD ABit board I've used from this era have four (KG7, KR7A, KX7-333).

As for fans, I prefer to power them from the motherboard because it makes wiring easier. Just remember you can only pull a maximum of .5 amps off of a motherboard fan header. It says so in the ABit manuals.

And yes, you can use the PSU fan header for a chassis fan. You can use any of them for anything you want, provided you turn off the "CPU fan fail detect" feature in BIOS.
    Core i7 920 @ 4 GHz, 1.35v
    Corsair Nautilus 500 w/DD BIX radiator swap & Apogee GTX
    Asus P6T
    6GB Corsair Dominator
    XFX GeForce GTX 285
    WD Raptor 150GB / Hitachi 1TB
    Antec P182 / PCP&C Silencer 750
    Samsung 2232GW

Sic vis pacem, para bellum.

thanks. any opinions on pcpowercooling's silencer auxiliary fans? they do 27cfm at 20dba.... im ordering 2 of them right now. (thats why i was asking about motherboard headers, i wasn't sure wehther to get ones for motherboards or power supply cables.)