• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

played with a fresh 2.0a yesterday

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

larva

Inactive Moderator
I built a 2.0a for a customer yesterday, had the opportunity to play with it a little before they picked it up. I believe the pack date was 9/13, and the chip had potential. It ran 2.66 (133fsb) at stock voltage, and 2.8 (140fsb) with 1.6V. It posted at 3GHz but locked entering windows at 1.7V. This was on a P4S333.

After my experiences with a C1 Celly 2.0, I'm waiting for the C1 Northy 2.0. With any luck I should be able to pick one up after the first of the year. Oh my god, 2003 already.

larva said:
I built a 2.0a for a customer yesterday, had the opportunity to play with it a little before they picked it up. I believe the pack date was 9/13, and the chip had potential. It ran 2.66 (133fsb) at stock voltage, and 2.8 (140fsb) with 1.6V. It posted at 3GHz but locked entering windows at 1.7V. This was on a P4S333.

Guess you didn't run stability tests given the short time you worked with the chip?

Manual Shutdown said:
do you think i'd be able to reach 2.66 using a p4-te?

With a 2.0A? I think you might well reach that goal, but the less optimal P4T-E will lower your chances slightly. It's hard to say yes or no to a question like this because so much luck of the draw is involved.

Re: Re: played with a fresh 2.0a yesterday

FIZZ3 said:

Guess you didn't run stability tests given the short time you worked with the chip?

It was stable at 140fsb/2.8GHz. I played quake online for over an hour. If any other test tripped it up a touch more voltage would have cleared it up, I was only running 1.6V. I just mentioned this to tell people that late pack date 2.0a's are of similar core quality to the other late model pre C1 Northwoods. For applications where extreme fsb is not possible it is a decent solution at the low price they are available at.

Hey, I have a p4s333 with 2.0A, have no idea what the shipping date was. Also kingmax ddr 333 ram with lots of cooling + volcano 7+ / Artic Silver 3 and i cant get past 2.44ghz. Have no idea why, even at 1.7v. Very cool temperatures, 29c idle 33c load. Just cant figure this out Please help.
[email protected] - Dave

larva said:

not to be rude but what the hell are you doing overclocking someone computer without thier permision? Imean you coulda hurt the thing for all i know. Geeze im never ganna buy something from you

residentevil2 said:

not to be rude but what the hell are you doing overclocking someone computer without thier permision? Imean you coulda hurt the thing for all i know. Geeze im never ganna buy something from you

If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all:beer: :beer: :beer:

residentevil2 said:

Well you are right about one thing, you are rude as hell. If I knew as little as you, I would not have attempted it. Some of us are not a liability around hardware.

BTW, at this point it was still my computer. The customer had not paid for it, but I had. It was still my property. If I had damaged it I could not of sold the machine.

And don't worry, I wouldn't sell to you anyway. The last thing I need is another complaining source of irritation.

My only reason for posting this info is to share some of my experience with others, so they might know more. People learn through experience, and I freely share mine. I understand you would have difficulty understanding that some people are highly capable and experienced, considering your own level of capability.

sorry man, sounds like you've already done the right things

Ri0_6667 said:
Hey, I have a p4s333 with 2.0A, have no idea what the shipping date was. Also kingmax ddr 333 ram with lots of cooling + volcano 7+ / Artic Silver 3 and i cant get past 2.44ghz. Have no idea why, even at 1.7v. Very cool temperatures, 29c idle 33c load. Just cant figure this out Please help.
[email protected] - Dave

Dave,

It sounds to me like your chip only has 2.44GHz in it. Regardless of claims and exceptional examples, most early northwoods only have 2.4 GHz in them. My personal 1.6a runs like a jewel at 2400MHz, but crashes and burns at 2413 regardless of heatsink/fan and cpu voltage. Knowing it was not realistic to expect more than 2400MHz, I chose the 1.6a to have the lowest multiplier and thus the highest fsb. This makes the most of your 2400MHz.

The early 2.0a's where a dissapointment for many overclockers. Many did not reach the 2.44GHz that yours does. As time passes, the core quality that chip manufacturers produce improves. This was the point of my post. It is realistic to expect 2.8-3GHz with current examples, even ones that in the past were lackluster overclockers. Sorry I can't tell you how to make your chip run like the later ones. At some point you have to accept the physical reality that chips have finite limits that cannot be overcome, and sometimes at lower levels than we would like. The C1 stepping northwoods have been achieving 3-3.4GHz, another step up from the late model pre-C1 chips like the 2.0a I played with

We can provide more cpu voltage, cool the chip well, and make sure there are no other factors in the system that limit the overclock, but in the end if the chip only has 2.44 in it nothing short of extreme cooling will have any impact on this, and the chip's life will be shortened considerably by applying extreme voltage and cooling in an effort to extract 2.6GHz from a chip that only has 2.44 in it.

As larva said, the cpus have their limits. In the case of the P4 the limits seems to be very sharp too. My P4 2,0A (packdate 07/29/02) boots in to windows at 2,86GHz (1,63v.) but does not even post when upping the bus 1MHz to 144, 2,88GHz (1,75v.).

I have now added a lot better cooling, but the limits are the same. 2,81GHz with 1,63v. is what I use now.

Just adding to the 2.0a stuff, mine is 100% Prime 95 stable at 2.92Ghz, nothing higher though. It will get to 2.6Ghz at 1.55v. I'm toasting it at the moment with 1.8v but the watercooling keeps load temps under 40C.

I have to change what I said earlier in this thread. I just did the vid pin wire wrap thing and can now get voltages higher than 1,75 volt. With 1,86 volt I can get a lot higher it seems. It is a little early to say how high but at the moment I´m testing the far side of 2,9GHz. Seems promising! :p

Just hope you aren't married to that chip

1.86V will often buy you more clock speed, but you are basically forcing the chip to operate at a level it is not capable of. That level of voltage will drastically shorten the chip's life, if not kill it in short order. Northwoods don't like the far side of 1.75V, as far as I'm concerned that is not an option.

Of course, a dead cpu isn't the end of the world. Yours might last as long as it needs to at 1.86v, and if it doesn't a fresh 1.8a or 2.0a likely won't need all that voltage to get to 2.9 :)

Re: Just hope you aren't married to that chip

1,86 volt is as far as I´m willing to go, I think. It also depends on the end result. If it´s worth it I`ll use it, otherwise not. Of course I do not want to burn my chip but if that happens there are plenty of fairly cheap P4:s to pick from.

My problem is that my memorys limit is around 180MHz (360MHz ddr) meaning that I have to get better memory if I want to have any real gain from going over 2,87GHz. I´m now trying 2,99GHz with memory at 1/1. If this is stable then I will buy a stick of 400MHz memory. 3,01Ghz crasched in prime95. It would be tempting to raise the voltage, but enough is enough...

Re: Re: Re: played with a fresh 2.0a yesterday

larva said:
BTW, at this point it was still my computer. The customer had not paid for it, but I had. It was still my property. If I had damaged it I could not of sold the machine.
Well it still doesn't make it right. Overclocking someone else's-to-be computer without his/her consent, is wrong. But of course, since you are so experienced, it makes it alright? Who are you to decide for the computer's owner-to-be, that OCing his machine without owner's knowledge is OK? OK, so you didn't damage anything short term. But what if there are long-term consequences (I know this sounds vague, but it's a valid point). How can you be 100% sure of that?

And how would you feel if a bartender would spit in your drink? Would you mind, even if he was an experienced spitter?

I understand you would have difficulty understanding that some people are highly capable and experienced, considering your own level of capability.
And you are highly capable and experianced? Doing what? Assembling computers? :D

I don't appreciate sharing of your tremendous experience, because this "experiment" was done "unethically", if you will.

And don't flame me, I have the right of my opinion and I have the right to tell larva that he did wrong. Ppl like this just **** me off. The sad thing is he is one of many.

he did say though that the customer hadn't paid for it yet. if something has gone wrong and something had gotten fried it was still his computer and he could by a replacement (at his own expense) and the buyer would still get his new computer

Back