• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aircooled Peltier?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bender

Mysteriously Changing Senior
In Thelemac's Basement Eating the Chickens
Has anyone ever goten good temps with an aircooled peltier setup? Athlons probably put out way to much heat but what about a p3 or a cyrix m3 which puts out 10 wats at 700mhz. Geez a .18 micron 10 wat cpu should be overclockable even if it sucks horibly.

i am not sure about the wattage on a p3, but aircooling a peltier is possible, but now it is not. They just put out way too much heat. Water cooling is just better for peltier cooling, especially when you start dealing with 80W and above peltiers.

Bender (May 21, 2001 10:49 p.m.):
Has anyone ever goten good temps with an aircooled peltier setup? Athlons probably put out way to much heat but what about a p3 or a cyrix m3 which puts out 10 wats at 700mhz. Geez a .18 micron 10 wat cpu should be overclockable even if it sucks horibly.

I got pretty good results with a air cooled 72W pelt on my PIII700@1050MHz (about 31W of heat load). I was using a Alpha PAL6035 with a Panaflow 80mm fan ducted so the hot air was directed out of the case. My temps were minus 26 C idle and plus 5 C load.
Water cooling and a 118W pelt took 7 C off the load temp, same idle temp.

I would think you could get decent results from a Celeron on a good sized peltier. I ran an 85 W peltier cooled by a Alpha PEP66 with a delta fan on a Duron at 1 ghz. It got me worse temps then without the peltier under load, but when idle i got around 65 F. So if you use it on a Cely or P3 I dont' see why it wouldn't work good.

Aaron

i had aircooled P3 750 before and it was not so good!!! i also had PAL6035 plus delta black label 38 and one 85W pelt!! the lowest temp i ever got is 1C and then load temp was 22C with prime95(24hr and stable) @992MHZ. maybe my plet was too big so the heat it dissipate was not able to absort by PAL6035 hsf!!

I was running my PIII 800E with an 85w tec and a P3125 Alpha. My temps were about 21c @ idle and about 28c under load, depending on the temp in the house of course.

Now with watercooling for now I'm running at 13c @ idle and about 20c under a load. I will get it cooler still working out the bugs. Right now my waterblock is to big compared to the water going thru it. So A lot of heat is not getting transfered. I ordered a new waterblock from Tom Leufkens along with a new copper cold plate. That should drop the temps quit a bit.

lightning (May 22, 2001 01:51 a.m.):
the lowest temp i ever got is 1C and then load temp was 22C with prime95!!

How in the hell did you get temps that low with an 85w tec with aircooling? With watercooling the only way I can touch that is to get a second radiator and\or lower my core voltage to about 1.7v's which is not stable at all.

I will be getting a second radiator as well one of these days. I would like to spring for a DD Cube, but It's a little pricey for me at the moment.

I'm not sure if I'm exactly correct, but a while back I did some calculations with a 72 watt peltier. I think it had a DeltaT of 68C. Anyways, I found it to take the CPU temperature 30 degrees F below the case temperature. The CPU produced 19.8 watts of heat. It also used an Alpha P3125

to answer bdf24, of course depend on the room temp!!! i got that reading when it was in winter!! hehehehe!!! i open my window and let the room temp same as outside temp!! i think at that time, the outside temp was about -10C!!! it just a short time!! i want to know how cold i should get in order to post at higher speed, such as 1050MHZ!!!
:)

bdf24 (May 22, 2001 05:38 a.m.):
lightning (May 22, 2001 01:51 a.m.):
the lowest temp i ever got is 1C and then load temp was 22C with prime95!!

How in the hell did you get temps that low with an 85w tec with aircooling? With watercooling the only way I can touch that is to get a second radiator and\or lower my core voltage to about 1.7v's which is not stable at all.
I will be getting a second radiator as well one of these days. I would like to spring for a DD Cube, but It's a little pricey for me at the moment.

You should be getting MUCH lower temps than that.

See the screen shot attached, the cpu's a 700e @ 1050MHz (1.75V). This shot was taken today, hottest day of the year (not saying much for Scotland)
My system is water cooled (100% homemade) with a 118W pelt (I got similar temps with a 72W ).
With air cooling I maxed out at +7C on a hot day.

And here is a pic of the inside of the case. The big white box at the top of the case is the enclosure for the rad. (auto heater core).

Badger (May 22, 2001 04:10 p.m.):
[You should be getting MUCH lower temps than that.
See the screen shot attached, the cpu's a 700e @ 1050MHz (1.75V). This shot was taken today, hottest day of the year (not saying much for Scotland)
My system is water cooled (100% homemade) with a 118W pelt (I got similar temps with a 72W ).
With air cooling I maxed out at +7C on a hot day.

Whats the temp of your water? if I could keep my water consisistantly around ambient temp I would have my temps down around -5c @ idle of course. Which is what it will boot up at when I first turn it on. But the water warms up cause the rad is'nt taking enough heat out of the water. Of course this is with only a single 90mm fan on the rad though and a core voltage of 1.85 for now. Also these temp readings are with my case inclosed in a computer desk with the door to the desk closed! The pc is not out in the open! (pc is in the kitchen and the wife wont let me have it sitting out!)

I will be buying a 120mm fan today so that should help. Also the water block I'm using is pretty big! I dont think that the amount of water going thru it compared to the size of the block is good enough to pull all the heat out of it. It is very hot to the touch! as is the rad. Which sucks cause it gets my chipset really hot as well being so close to the cpu slot. (BX board)

I did order another waterblock for a PIII slot 1 which is a lot smaller and also a new copper cold plate to replace my aluminum one. So I'm thinking that will help.

Wow, that's really cool~~ :). by the way, u said u got similar result when u using 72W pelt, is that true??? err.....how u power up ur pelt?? using 300W PSU?? just curious, coz i hvn't got my pelt put out the real power yet!! :)

bdf24:
My coolant gets up to about 35 C (measured before the rad).
If your water block is getting hot to the touch you got a problem, either the blocks not got enough surface area, the water flow is too low or your rads not up to the job.

If the block gets much hotter than the water its probably the block at fault.
If when starting up from cold, the water comes out of the block noticeably hotter than it enters it, it's too low a water flow.
If you don't get either of these symptoms its probably the rad. not doing its job (or poor air circulation)
Also check for air in the system.

Lightning:
I only ever used the 72W pelt with my old air cooled system, but I got temps of minus 26 C@ idle and 7 C @ load. I'm pretty sure with the water cooling the temps would be within a few C of the 118W pelt (idle maybe lower?). I used to run the 72w off a 300W psu (not dedicated) never had any trouble. I'm using a dedicated 15v 25A power supply for the 118w pelt.
I'm now using the 72W pelt to cool my gfx card (you can see the water pipes going to the gfx card in the pic)

Well, I really think it is my block. The block I have now is not much smaller then the size of a slot 1 cpu as far as height and width. And is around 3\4" thick. Now the tunneling is a 1\2" wide running in a double TT patern. But there is quit a bit of area not being touched by water. I think the block is just getting to hot cause of the size and it's oversaturating the water with heat.

My pump is an inline Rio 200gph. Rad is 12" X 5" X 3\4" thick.

I added a 120mm fan along with my 90mm fan on the rad. I have it running at 5v for now untill I can get it hooked up to my fan bus and run at 7v or 12v's (way to loud at 12volts!). it dropped my temps @ idle from 13c to 9c.

I should have my new waterblock and copper cold plate here by the end of the week so I'll see how much that helps. A lot I hope! If not I guess I'll be on the market for a new pump.

Badger (May 23, 2001 12:32 a.m.):
Lightning:
I only ever used the 72W pelt with my old air cooled system, but I got temps of minus 26 C@ idle and 7 C @ load. I'm pretty sure with the water cooling the temps would be within a few C of the 118W pelt (idle maybe lower?). I used to run the 72w off a 300W psu (not dedicated) never had any trouble. I'm using a dedicated 15v 25A power supply for the 118w pelt.
I'm now using the 72W pelt to cool my gfx card (you can see the water pipes going to the gfx card in the pic)

humm........sound like my PAL6035 can't pump out all heat which dissipate by that 85W pelt alone. if it doesn, then propably i can hv minus temp as u does!! sad!!! :(

Back