• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor dieing!? Please say no!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KLowD9x

Heres the problem, every "now and then" (like every hour or two) my monitor will go to a slightly darker shade than narmal. Its real fast, like only a second. Then it goes back to normal. It has just started doing this recently. Does this mean my monitor is going bad?

I have been using my vid card for about 2 years (Voodoo 4 4500 PCI, LOL!!)..The monitor is like 3 years old. Its a Compaq MV720 (Dont laugh, I got it for the price of a 15").

I have had this problem. Turn on everything, then move the connector round on the monitor side and the video card side. Check the monitor cable for any damage. (make sure you are watching the monitor when you do this) sounds like you have a bad connector, and I don't mean it is not pluged into your video card right, but the connector itself might be bad.

KLowD said:
Heres the problem, every "now and then" (like every hour or two) my monitor will go to a slightly darker shade than narmal. Its real fast, like only a second. Then it goes back to normal. It has just started doing this recently. Does this mean my monitor is going bad?

From the description and age, it sounds like the capcitors in the high voltage are going out.

for $60-$100 most real shops will rebuild the monitor and replace the caps.

So, if it's a 17" monitor, bite the bullet, and plan on replacing it.

if it's a 20" or better, fix it now, while it's cheap.

Paul

damndamndamn, well, ill be using this thing till it goes out, becuase im really really really short on money...

KLowD said:
damndamndamn, well, ill be using this thing till it goes out, becuase im really really really short on money...

Live with it until it dies, keep it cool (those stupid looking monitor coolers actually work) to extend it's life.

Paul.

Back