• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going from old gateway p2 to athlon 1.1ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lumen

So my brother is trying to upgrade his computer and I suggested that he just go with an Athlon instead. I found this Mobo & processor on ebay, looks like a real good deal and I cant see problems from the picture. Its a pretty free and clear swap besides the ram, if we just change the mobo and the processor? I was pretty sure it was ok, but just double checking with you guys.

Also will the SLK-800 fit on that athlon?

Thanks!:Dhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2060234947

Last edited:
Whoa, whoa whoa. Slow down there, bug guy.

First things first. Will that board *fit* in a Gateway case? Unless it's a standard ATX form-factor, then the screw holes won't be in the right places, and I'll bet the backplate where all the connections and ports poke through is designed differently as well. Also the PSU pinout probably won't fit the board, and I doubt that it'd have enough power to keep the board going anyway.

Secondly, when you swap out major components, like the motherboard, *always* reformat. At worse, you'll wind up with all sorts of IRQ conflicts and other problems, including degraded performance, because that Windows installation (assuming that's the OS he uses) won't be tailored to that board.

It seems like an ok deal, though... $51 for that nice board, and a 1.1Ghz chip. Dunno about the heatsink.

ThePerfectCore said:
Whoa, whoa whoa. Slow down there, bug guy.

First things first. Will that board *fit* in a Gateway case? Unless it's a standard ATX form-factor, then the screw holes won't be in the right places, and I'll bet the backplate where all the connections and ports poke through is designed differently as well. Also the PSU pinout probably won't fit the board, and I doubt that it'd have enough power to keep the board going anyway.

Secondly, when you swap out major components, like the motherboard, *always* reformat. At worse, you'll wind up with all sorts of IRQ conflicts and other problems, including degraded performance, because that Windows installation (assuming that's the OS he uses) won't be tailored to that board.

It seems like an ok deal, though... $51 for that nice board, and a 1.1Ghz chip. Dunno about the heatsink.
I knew I forgot something, he is going to get a new harddrive and psu as well. Im sure the board will fit, but not too sure about the back plate where all the ports protrude. I havent seen his computer in like 10 months so its a little hard to remember.

Should be OK. That KT7A should overclock well, as it has the KT133A chipset and is Abit manufactured.

I would have a look at the case though, just see if you can find out if it is AT/ATX/mATX what ever.

David

Becarefull on ebay~ you can get a**raped realy easily and be down how much the board cost ~ and a neg feedback real easy~

Back