• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just a stupid question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCn00b

Hi, i'm relatively new to overclocking and have a stupid question about overclocking a comp i'm building. It's a dual processor setup with 2 1Ghz P3's. My question is this: the mobo supports up to 1Ghz processors so if I put a 1Ghz on it, will i be able to OC at all or is 1Ghz just the limit? Thanks for the help.

depending on the board, you should be able to get a pretty good overclock out of those chips.

Overclocking an Intel chip is based on raising your FSB (front side bus) to obtain higher speeds.

Dual processor boards are a bit more work to overclock, and pay close attention to the SMP board here.

Take the time to read the beginners guides on the front page, and this should give you a very good idea of where to start.

Don't hesitate to ask questions either. That's what we're here for. =)

Welcome to the forums!

Thank you for the welcome and for the help. According to a page I found regarding tests on the mobo, I'll only be able to get the fsb up to around 140mhz(running dual processors) and still be stable. The link is http://www.digit-life.com/articles/i815epacorp6a815epd/index.html and I know it's not the best board around but this is more of a side project than anything really important. The reason I got this particular board is because testing seems to indicate it's decent quality and a really cheap price.If everything goes well with this one, I'm looking at a P4 2.4Ghz and trying to get it up to around 3.2Ghz. Thanks again for the help. I'll probably be posting more here as I run into problems with this and future OC attempts.

Back