• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BEST OS for seti??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmdrjay4

i am building a seti box
1.3 duron with ddr
i have dos-win95-98-2000-and red hat linux
it will be for seti only
is one of the os's better for seti???

I personally would go for the most stable OS. I have run Seti on 98, 2000, and 95 with no real difference in times. But I do find 2000 to be more stable:)

If you had NT4 I'd recommend that above all else, but my second choice would be 2000. There's very little difference in times among those mentioned, but stability is much better with the NT kernel.

I will offer a slightly different view-

I have been getting consistently lower times running Linux:
the trick is that I have been running the winnt client under wine;)

I have done the benchmark wu with both the linux/wine setup and Win2K, at the same speeds and on the same machine, and gotten a slightly faster time consistently with Linux/wine.

I have not done the testing I would like to do yet, since that requires me losing quite a bit of crunching time (dual boot and run the same 10 wu with each os- then compare results/times), but I am convinced.

Both my Linux rigs use Wine, and I am trying to get it running on my diskless clients.

The difference is NOT earth shattering though, but I suspect that the difference will be more substantial on slower pcs, and those with smaller amounts of memory.

rogerdugans said:
I will offer a slightly different view-

I have been getting consistently lower times running Linux:
the trick is that I have been running the winnt client under wine;)

I have done the benchmark wu with both the linux/wine setup and Win2K, at the same speeds and on the same machine, and gotten a slightly faster time consistently with Linux/wine.

I have not done the testing I would like to do yet, since that requires me losing quite a bit of crunching time (dual boot and run the same 10 wu with each os- then compare results/times), but I am convinced.

Both my Linux rigs use Wine, and I am trying to get it running on my diskless clients.

The difference is NOT earth shattering though, but I suspect that the difference will be more substantial on slower pcs, and those with smaller amounts of memory.
how much faster??
and please tell me about wine and diskless
i am getting 2 more boxes going and i don't want to buy disks

Those are the times for the diskless server and client, both using the linux seti client; as a note- they are slightly slower than they were running with a hard drive and os individually.

I will force myself to get some hard data this weekend:
One linux box is a stand-alone (with drive) so I will set it up to cache 3 wu using wine and then install 2K again and repeat.

It will be a short test, but I think enough of a sample to be fairly conclusive;)

As for the Diskless Cluster configuration: do a search in the Seti Forum for more info- I know that TC and none1 are also running diskless, and there may be a few more people.......?

Diskless How-To is HERE

Back