• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
I've got two computers here running SETi and one is the a celeron 600 stock @ 66mhz FSB with 128mb ram and the other is a P-II350@466 with 133Mhz FSB... the p-II is kicking the cellys @$$ why is that ?

if you ask me, i would say it mainly b/c of 2 things!! Memory/FSB speed and L2 Cache!! remember Mhz ain't mean anything!!

i have 2 different system running seti, one is PIII 600 (coppermine core, 256k L2, 100MHz FSB), one is a PIII 450 (Katmai core, 512K L2, 100MHz FSB). guess which one crunch faster?! the Katmai 450 ave. 'bout 12hr flat, and the Coppermine 600 ave. 13-14hr/wu!

I have been pondering the same question cause my p4 1.6 w/256 k l2 is kickin my freinds p4 1.8 w/512 l2 by a half-hour per workunit.

But then again he's running ddr and i have rambus ^_^

Oh and um his computer was built by gateway

and my computer was built by me:D :D :cool: :burn:

Cool :) yes i love these P-II's and their 512kb L2's :) ive also got 256mb with this lil peice of gold i own hehe. :) thx for the link too

In addition to the link, thank Landshark for his work on the benchmarks :)

He's the man that gets all the results and tests 'em out etc, nowadays;)

And the guy you will be sending YOUR benches to after you've run them:D

(thanks for all your work LS)

rogerdugans said:
In addition to the link, thank Landshark for his work on the benchmarks :)

He's the man that gets all the results and tests 'em out etc, nowadays;)

And the guy you will be sending YOUR benches to after you've run them:D

(thanks for all your work LS)
com'on Doug! don't say that, my face turns red now......:p

oh DDR, there's an "unoffical rank jump" feature for all the members too. $10 for 5 ranks jump, $15 for 10 ranks jump, and $50 for our number uno spot!! visa/mc/ae/dinners club/paypal accepted! oh btw, there's a $5 per entry for the benchie too!! :D :D

to repeat: FSB speed and L2 cache.
But there was different type of celeron sold with different amount of L2 (because of different process and die size)

I once attempted to upgrade a PII-350 (@400) to a Celly 450@650 and the Celly was twice as slow.

Now , if you could get the Celly to work at FSB 100Mhz, it would be equivalent to a 900Mhz Celly (much better)

Back