• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

efficiency for seti?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Say...

I was reading about this very subject on the SETI Spy website, located in your seti spy program in the "about" section, click on the web link.

A quote: "Floating Point Unit design. Since most of the processing is done on floating point numbers, a very efficient Floating Point Unit (FPU) is essential for good performance. The AMD K6 processors do not have efficient pipelined FPUs like the other processors, and this clearly affects their performance."

sounds about right b/c on an old K6-2 450 system it took about 24 hours to crunch a WU. But K6-2 performance is also determined by the amount of L2 cache on your mobo and type of RAM too of course cuz some K6-2 systems still used EDO or SD RAM at 66mhz while the CPU runs at 100Mhz

lol. Yours is a screamer compared to mine. My K6-3/400 takes about 32 hours to finish a WU. It's on an old Pentium 133 MB with DRAM and 66 MHz FSB. My second slowest cruncher. ;)

Back