• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Benz playing games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just shoot

I've watched TC get close and then he started dumping work units. Now I see The Two Norsemen are closing on him and he dumps even more WU's. I get the impression that he is enjoying himself.

You may be right, but I personally disregard benz. That is, I don't really consider him a team member. He never posts and he's never answered any e-mails. So, like I said, I just considered him a place holder and not a team member. In my mind, TC has always been in the number one slot. Well, until just recently.

Interesting. Could I know then DeltaSierra what
do you think of the Seti results with regard to the cognitive
doubling problem?

Lorixnt2:

Are you talking about the cheat someone in Ars Technica post a while ago, about caching all your results and sending them again and again? I might think that benz is not into that, he seems more the guy that patched the client so it could crunch a Wu in 15 minutes instead of the normal time, terminating the WU before it's even crunched.

But as we haven't heard anything from berkeley, it's all guess work.

Lorixnt2 said:
So since you don't know that problem was it maybe better I didn't write that post at all?
Yes we all know about that cheat - and we have asked Berkeley to see if they thought he was doing that. They have never replied.

The cognitive doubling problem is a philosophical one with very ancient roots. I think we could also consider it a very boring
and unplayful thing to deal with.
So the understood meaning of my question to DeltaSierra is:

"If silence is sometimes better than speech could we consider
Benz a team member as everyone and not a place holder even
if she/he doesn't post in this forum?"

Corollarium: Can silence be considered neutral and not a thing
to blame?

I don't really hold any weight to what Benz does... I still just omit him in my head when I look at the stats:)

Lorixnt2 said:

"If silence is sometimes better than speech could we consider
Benz a team member as everyone and not a place holder even
if she/he doesn't post in this forum?"

aahhh. Now I get it. There are other reasons that I do not believe that benz is a team member, but they've been beat to death around here. With SETI One coming to a close, it's pointless to rehash 'em anymore. I think Cuper said it best: In my mind (just me, I'm not asking for anyone to agree with me) TC has held the number one position for years and deserves the appropriate recognition.

Pretty off topic but DS got me thinkin, when Seti One closes will stats carry over to Seti Two or start from scratch?

Lorixnt2 said:

Corollarium: Can silence be considered neutral and not a thing
to blame?
Of Course!! there's NO requirement to have to post/visit to the forum for x amount of time in order to be consider as a member of the team! absolutely NOT!!

and we have quite a few silence members around too. they might not post as often, or don't visit the forum, but i knew some of them come over here as often as they could to read, just not posting that's all. and when they do post, it's all very valuable infomation.

i think what DeltaSierra said, is mainly due to the fact that we can't proof/disproof whether his wu is creditable from berkeley. not b/c of his nor visit/commuticating to us.

again, every single member is the same valuable member to us!! whether 1 wu / week or 1000 wu / day, speak up a lot or just sitting at the corner silenly. no difference!! :cool:

Ok guys, so, after all, it doesn't depend on the silence if he is a place holder or a team member. It depends on the possibility of a cheat. Can we conclude then silence is compatible with membership?

Slightly Different Approach

If my view is worth $.02 here goes. If one compares the number of active posters against the number of active crunchers it appears safe to say that 50% or more of our active crunchers are not active in the forum, and it has never been a requirement that anyone has to even have ever visited the forum in order to be part of this team. The question many of us have with this particular member is his seemingly impossible to achieve WU times, combined with his unwillingness to respond to any form of contact. Now in this situation silence does seem to lack some team spirit, because if he has discovered some totally legal way to achieve his phenominal results, and was a team player would he not benefit the team by sharing his methods? Many of us are willing to share tips that mean only a couple of WUs per week, this guy could enlighten people on a much broader scale or he could incriminate himself for something less than legal. We can't determine the legality of his methods and those who can have not so for now he is what he is, but in view of many there are far more questions than answers.

Respectfully,
SkyHook

I'm glad someone out there can read my mind!! Skyhook, Landshark and Cuper are right on the money with this one! Good post Skyhook...I sure couldn't say it better.

we'll find out if benz is cheating or not cause when seti2 comes out he won't have that ability.

so if his wu production dropps off then he probbally was cheating and if it stays high then he wasent

Why is he even a member of the OC SETI TEAM? He has to be clearly cheating. I say we remove him immediatly and the folders who fold for like 24 - 48 hrs may compensate some of his fake WUs.

Benz is still listed as a member of the team because:

He has not chosen to remove himself from the team.

Berkeley has not responded to the Team enquiries about the possibility of him cheating.

The consensus that has been shown each time this has come up in the past has been that he is innocent until proven guilty, and that his guilt must be determined by Berkeley, not us.

While many, if not all of us, have serious questions about the validity of Benz's output, deciding that someone is not a member because we don't want them to be (for whatever reason) might not be the way we want other to see us.

Back