• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting SETI@HOME on RAM ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nope not really. I do it on mine just to let the hard drive spin down. Times are no different though. If you want to try download the trial version of RamDiskNT.

I've already got it :) I was just wondering tho :) hehe anything to try and speed up the process:) But I'll be getting 2 more system to run seti on soon :) nothing amazing but P-III 1Ghz with 256MB PC-133 RAM and 20GB HDD im not sure if its already overclocked but if it isnt it will be, and a P-III 800EB@900Mhz with a CPU RAM Ratio of 1/3 which really sux... need fater ram to run @ the 155Mhz FSB :/ its only got 192MB PC-133 RAm and 25Gb

I'm about to fire up an old BX board with a slotket and a 1.1 celeron. I doubt it will oc much, but it's worth a shot.

Hey guys: with linux u can git more than one pc to run in tandem, me thinks real cool for SETi. What u think-?

You mean like parallel processing? The computer seeing the other computer as a second CPU to process data on?

If so, it's not really that helpful. SETI only has one thread that it runs, and so you have to run a seperate SETI install on every CPU you have. That's one thing I hope they change in SETI 2. Make another thread so we can use multiple CPUs and set up a killer Beuwolf setup. :D

JigPu

what if the work unit were placed onto the L2 ? can that be done ?

the L2 cache is always accessed via seti since thats where all data to be processed runs from.
Having a large L2 cache lets you fit the entire client into the cache, and hence lowers WU time signficantly.

To answer several of your questions:

1.-SMP is not supported right now in S@H. If you have more than one CPU, you can only run multiple instances of the clc to fill up your CPU's.

2.-Acording to the information on SETI's future, SMP (or parallel procesing ) will be supported by the next tecnology being developed in the S@HII infrastructure.

3.-The is no clear cut release of S@HII. Current estimate is mid-03.

Back