• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Processor performs better when it's cold?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Norrko

Ok! Here's the deal...

When I have my balcony-door open (It's winter in Sweden soon) the CPU-temp is about 44-46 C my Seti crunch a WU in less than 3 Hrs ( 2Hrs 30-45 min). The cold air sneak around right above the floor and the polarbears and penguins start to knock on the door so I shut the door. The CPU-temp raised to about 56-57 C and now Seti crunch every WU at approx. 3 Hrs 15 min.

Did I just happen to be given WU's with low crunch-times or is it a fact. I know that processors perform better when the thay are cold but is the difference that big?

The WU have been recorded on differnt days and I can see the difference clearly in my CSV-file... Open,closed,open,closed... ;)

Because if the difference is that big it's gonna be a cold apartment i've got this winter... ;)

Opinions?

/Norrko

Norrko said:
Ok! Here's the deal...

When I have my balcony-door open (It's winter in Sweden soon) the CPU-temp is about 44-46 C my Seti crunch a WU in less than 3 Hrs ( 2Hrs 30-45 min). The cold air sneak around right above the floor and the polarbears and penguins start to knock on the door so I shut the door. The CPU-temp raised to about 56-57 C and now Seti crunch every WU at approx. 3 Hrs 15 min.

Did I just happen to be given WU's with low crunch-times or is it a fact. I know that processors perform better when the thay are cold but is the difference that big?

The WU have been recorded on differnt days and I can see the difference clearly in my CSV-file... Open,closed,open,closed... ;)

Because if the difference is that big it's gonna be a cold apartment i've got this winter... ;)

Opinions?

/Norrko

Seti WUs are varible, sometimes you get a fast one, sometimes you get a slow one, unless you have a cooling problem, and a P4 that is thermal throttling.

Paul.

Re: Re: Processor performs better when it's cold?

pauldriver said:

Seti WUs are varible, sometimes you get a fast one, sometimes you get a slow one, unless you have a cooling problem, and a P4 that is thermal throttling.

Paul.

Yeah, I know that... But it could not be a coincidence that I've got all the "good" WU when I have the door open.. Or?

/Norrko

Unless the motherboard is throttling your cpu I don't see how it would be possible.

TC said:
Unless the motherboard is throttling your cpu I don't see how it would be possible.

Check my sig. There's no possible way that the MB throttles my CPU. And I checked my CSV-file once again, 6 good results (<3 Hrs), 4 bad (>3 Hrs) and now I'm under 3 Hrs/Wu again.. And it corresponds to my closed or open door...

I'm gonna check this fenomena a couple of days now... Maybe it's a total mistake from my side or something else, I don't know.
And I know that it's sounds to good to be true!

/Norrko

I checked your sig - I'm not sure I'm following you. I thought that was a relatively new motherboard.... The tbreds have the ability to clock throttle just like P4's and the newer motherboards are supposed to be able to read the thermal diode and control throttling. If you're air cooled it could be throttling under full load until you cool the room down with the door open. Aside from angle range, that's the only other thing that can affect speed.

Could you please check the AR of the WU you are comparing? If the AR is higger than 1 thant would probably explain the times you are getting.

Back