• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

read faq, still confused

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
We all do it for different reasons. Some fold because they like competition. Others fold because they like the way it keeps their computers at a stable temp. And others fold because of a loved one. But no matter what, those that start FOLDING get hooked and fold to make the world a better place for humanity. I have some very personal reasons why I fold, but on top of that reason, I like the competition. I challenge you to start folding for team 32 and see if you don't get addicted to it. Even if you fold for a day and then turn it off, you'll help us all out. Well, if you any other questions about it, we'll be more than happy to help and answer anything.

/me FOLDS LIKE CHINESE LAUNDRY!!!!

does folding take up all my resources? cause when i build my new fast comp mabye ill fold in the background? right now im on a slow comp though (see sig). i think its a great thing that people want to help out in this way, i think its a great idea. i want to get involved in this, that way i can convince my parents that building a fast comp and ocing like crazy can do some good afterall :).

my celeron 366 OC to 523MHz fold 24/7 even when playing games.

no it does not take resource that you would notice. It will release the resource on demand. It will only take over your idle process or another word it only use your unuse cpu cycles.

thats awesome! i guess ill start folding right away! by the way, does it take a lot of bandwidth from my internet connectoin? cause my dsl conn is very very very slow, i cant even have 2 comps open websites at the same time without extreme lagging.

i know someone fold with just dial up modem and it only use less than 5 mins per day d/l and upload work unit

I have dsl right now and have 5 rigs folding 24/7 and I never notice any difference.

yes. it will only use the internet every time it finish a Work unit or when it needs a new work unit . Depends on how long it takes to finish 1 work unit that it when it will use the internet.

are the things that it needs to download huge? cause im not sure i can spare the bandwidth considering the fastest i can download is 14kb/s

the upload for P180 which run continuos for 36 hrs to finish is only 200Kbyte. Download is even smaller since it is only the assignment.

you'll be fine don't worry. and welcome to folding

thanks guys, i dont think im gonna start folding quite yet though because my dsl was temproarily disscontinued due to "installation".... so im on 56k right now. its so stupid, all we're doing is swithcing payment accounts, and it takes a week for "installation". oh well, on tuesday ill start folding when i get my dsl back. by the way, what are the teams for? is it kinda like a clan or something?

we are competing between team subteam and personal username to make it more interesting. For example, my subteam OC3d (username OC3d) team 32 which is team overclockers.com
is competing with The_Raging_Dutchmen team www.3drage.com

username and team name is entirely your choice. no matter which username and team you choose it will help the folding project.

you can check out the team production and user within team by clicking the team name here. you can even graph the future guess production base on current number

http://www.statsman.org

you can find OC3d rank 28 world wide here
http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/searchstats

Back