• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

power down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RiddleBox

I'm looking for a fast (instant) way to power down my computer without clicking start-shutdown, pressing and holding on/off sw, unplugging or turning on/off sw on psu.

I tried to unplug the on/off sw to the header pins on mobo but this did not do the trick. This would be ideal for my application.

Any suggestions on how to make this work?

Thanks

if you're using a surge protector, you could just switch it off that way, but other than that, i have no idea

Yes it is but I need a fast shutdown in case my water flow drops too low or my pump drops out.

I believe the power on/off on keyboard is controlled through software, I could be wrong

RiddleBox said:
Yes it is but I need a fast shutdown in case my water flow drops too low or my pump drops out.

If that is the case then do what I would do, Hit the off switch on the power bar fast! I could live with a few corrupt files if it saved my cpu:)

I've seen remote control units. Basically, you plug the adapter into the wall and then you would plug your computer into the adapter. The remote control lets you cut the power instantly. I can't remember where I've seen those at though.

There is probably a high tech solution if you want to go to the trouble. You could build a relay circuit to cut power to the computer that is triggered by a low water flow sensor that you install in the water rig. This would be automatic and would minimize the risk to your CPU.

why spend the money on additional eq, i mean if you have the surge protector right there you can just turn that switch off, also you could just unplug the computer, if the plug is accessible.

Surge protector is the best way if you ask me. If you try to do anything with the motherboard, it will still take 2-3 seconds.

If you want a cool but unreliable way, hook your surge protector up to a clapper. CLAP ON *clap* *clap* .

I built a light (wall type) switch into a box on the side-end of my desk, and wired it with a heavy duty extension cord. One end plugs into the wall surge protector, the other to my power bar.

Split the black wire in the cord, and fasten both of those ends to the switch. If you can't tell wire colors with your cord, use the side with the small blade on the plug end. This is the "hot" wire and supplies all the current, puting a switch on the other wire will only turn off neutral, meaning a path to ground with still have juice avalable=bad.

The switch is mounted in easy reach, and will kill the pump, monitor, and computer at once.

Be safe, and don't take shortcuts...110 volts is nothing to fool with.

Back