• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the BEST?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The ATi Radeon 9700......
Well its the fastest but is it the best?
Is that your answer?

The best card is the one that suits your needs....
Or is it?

Could it be the Geforce 4 Ti 4600....slower than the 9700 and pricey...who knows...

Riddles...Ah the wonders...

.......:beer: :burn:

Hmmm... kinda like Angry's answer :p

I personally do NOT think the radeon 9700 is the BEST on the market, for sake of bugs and little time to show compatibility (ATI are renoun for their driver issues).

I kinda feel that the Ti4200, 4400, and 4600 are the BEST over all cards in the $225 and < price range... the ATI 8500 is a proven card in the $100 price range (for the 8500 LE). All of these cards have phenominal 2D quality. The GF3 DID NOT!! (fuzzy and bland! first hand experience here ;) )

If you want the potential for the best frame rates and most bandwidth (to turn on all the texture smoothing features on max) then the radeon 9700 is likely gonig to be your card given enough time to iron the agp and compatibility issues out.

Some people have a real preferance so when it comes down to the best card if they hate ATI then they won't pick the Radeon 9700. It really depends on what you need.

My choice would be the ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500 128MB because I will be moving into a dorm room either next year or the year after and I need to be able to hook the VCR and xBox up.

The fastest card is the 9700, however, it may be overkill for some peopel to have it, especialy if you don't need it. Also for the AIW, I think it's better to get a PCI TV tuner, you can get one with just as good quality as the AIW for 100 dolors...it may cost a little more to get the tuner AND the same video card, but next time you get a video card you don't need to get an expensive one with the tuner on it you can get anyone and save the tuner.

ATC9001 said:
The fastest card is the 9700, however, it may be overkill for some peopel to have it, especialy if you don't need it. Also for the AIW, I think it's better to get a PCI TV tuner, you can get one with just as good quality as the AIW for 100 dolors...it may cost a little more to get the tuner AND the same video card, but next time you get a video card you don't need to get an expensive one with the tuner on it you can get anyone and save the tuner.

That is a good point especially if you want a tv tuner and you already have a good video card. I think the AIW PCItv tuner costs about $50 at BestBuy.

You can listen to these guys babble about inferior cards such as the radeon 9700 and the TI 4600, but what they are all afraid to admit, is that 3dfx has a real winner in the voodoo 2 1000 PCI.

My vote goes to the Radeon 9700 Pro with DDR2 (due out very soon). That card is going to kick @**. The NV30 should be good too...

I highly recommend any card based on the "VooDoo Banshee" chipset. IT will play any game released before 1998 really well.

for me - the albatron gf4 ti4200p. you can overclock it to run faster than a ti4600 at a fraction of the cost. Best value for money IMHO, and thats what counts for me:)

Back