• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good LCD display?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rabid Snail

I tried a forum search but it didn't provide a very good anwser, so I'll ask. I have a budget of around 400 or so dollars, and am looking for a relatively good LCD display. If this is not enoguh money to get a decent moniter, fell free to tell me. Any advice is welcome.

An occasional DVD or Zim episode. Mostly gaming and non video intensive stuff, like surfing and programming, and playing FPSers.

Some specific models would be nice. Also, I am looking for something that is available in black, to match my case.

pixel response time is key (goal: <25ms)... LCD's have gotten CHEAP...

my personal suggestion:

-any VG series Viewsonic monitor (newegg has some great prices)

-Samsung t-series is excellent as well

-if you have the moola Viewsonic VX series same screen as VG except has DVI too...

I just finished a TON of research on the topic and decided on the Viewsonic VX900...

I was in Sam's Club today and saw a 17" Viewsonic for about $400. Don't know if that will help, but its a thought.

When looking for an LCd also look at contrast.. the higher the better for crisp color pictures as well as the viewing angels..aka do you have to be directly in front to see it or does it blur as you look at it from an angle

Try looking at Dell they have 20% off of dell upgrades and most of their LCDs are black...got for the ultras they are the better qual

I did a lot of research and purchased NEC 1550m from Newegg for $400, I am very very pleased:D

Check out a review here

I especially love the front USB hub and headphone jack, very handy:D

One thing is that it would actually help me a great bit to clear up all that desk space. Plus, I need a 1337 moniter for my 1337 tower :D .

Read this thread. It's the best collection of LCD info on the Net. If you want to spend the money, the 20" Dell 2000FP is the ticket.

You might want to check out this:
http://www.hitachidisplays.com/press/CML174_pressrelease.htm
16ms response time, oh yeah...
http://arstechnica.infopop.net/Open...65&m=4190936913 give you a little insight about the technologies involved and what to stay away from ... Good news is if the Hitachi really is dishing out 16ms respone time it will send the competition scrambling to catch up, leaving the 25ms and up response time LCD's behind the eight ball. Hopefully this will make the older models prices drop like a lead ballon...Still I agree with Ugmore Baggage, go look at a Sony CDP G420S or a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 920 19 inch CRT's that both sell for around 400 dollars and it may be hard for you to justify buying a LCD for gaming. Now if I can just find one of these Hitachi's to go take a look at...Good Luck !!!
http://arstechnica.infopop.net/Open...65&m=4190936913

Last edited:
HOLY SH*T!!!!! :D

If I were you, Id wait until the competition has LCDs comparable to that Hitachi, and then buy at that time. Even if you bought an LCD at that time with a 25 ms response time, which is nothing to laugh at in itself, you'd get it cheap :)

Hookem, the second link is broken can you fix it I would love to read what to stay away from myself.

What is the response time for a crt?

Well I tried to fix it to no avail and I have not been able to find the thread that turned me onto this Hitachi ... searched through aratechnica's site and could not find the article ... however they do have an article about LCD's ... let me look around and find the thread and I will post another reply ... I have read a bunch of threads about monitors because I am in the process of purchasing another one...Have a NEC C900 19" that has been great but want the newest and baddest boy on the block, that is why I have settled on the Sony CDP G420S 19" CRT, till the smoke clears on the LCD front and boy does it look like Hitachi has thrown down the gauntlet...just sold a Hitachi CM721 because I was not satisfied with the picture quality (did not do my research) shadow mask vs. aperture grill and all that business, well boys it looks like the fight is on. This should prove to be quiet interesting to say the very least. All the big boys are going to be scrambling to catch up. With some of them, I hope trying to take it to the next level to kick that Hitachi's butt.

How is a 15" lcd which has a 400:1 constrast and a 25 ms response time sound? The viewing is 160 by 160 degree vertical and horizonal.

The cost was 280

Well after having this 19" NEC C900 for over 4yrs I just could not fathom going to anything smaller. Unless you just absolutley have to have a LCD I would stick with a CRT. You can buy nice aperture grill 19" CRT from ViewSonic for about $280. I really think that LCD's are about to have dramatic price drops. With Hitachi coming out with this new model, some of the other big manufacturers are about to release new models or sure as hell will have to come up with something new and quick. The specs on the 15" you are refering to sound good. But believe me specs are not everything. The quality of the electronics that make up any monitor are very important. Dont be fooled by specs alone. This time of year always provides new releases of hardware. And if you watch DVD's or play Soldier of Fortune, UT2003, Mafia or any of the newer games any of the LCD's I have seen are way back there in picture quality even when compared to inexpensive CRT's. Bigger is not always better, but in the case of comparing CRT's to LCD's you not only get bigger but better. I want one bad, I mean really bad. But after extensive research after my little mishap with the Hitachi 19" CM721 shadow mask CRT (kill's any LCD I have seen) monitor my homework suggest that you either wait or spend that 400 bones on a double throw down CRT like the Sony or Mitsubishi. When I bought the NEC it was high dollar and is still serving me very well. Yeah they are big and heavy but LCD's just are not there yet.

Back