• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

case mod idea....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hydrata

hey, alright, let's see if i can explain this, i'm a complete watercooling noob though...i want my next computer to be watercooled and modded...the side will have a window, and i want the motherboard panel side to have a nice cutout too, of a dragon or something. i would want the water to flow down and behind the motherboard tray and you could see it through the window cutout....the waterfall would have an effect like this....http://www.innergifts.com/pages/cg_Fountains/Sol.htm

except not as pretty of course, i just want the effect where the water runs down like that behind the cutout......the waterfall might have to run off a separate pump than the CPU, right? i guess the problems would be getting the water up there, making sure it doesn't spill everywhere, and then collecting it at the bottom, and fitting that all inside a case...any ideas????

so you want water to run behind the motherboard?

I have a few ideas.
mount the board on a piece of plexiglas.
have the back part as the resorvoir, but more like the kind you have for a fish tank.
have a seperate pump directly for the raising of the water to the second level, and the intake part on the lower part where the resovoir is.
you can make this as thin as the pump alone.

I suggest a solid piece of plexiglas to keep the board safe.
you can even one up this idea, by back lighting the water behind the motherboard.

I have all this idea in mind how to build it and everything...
just hope you understand.

i'm not exactly understanding, maybe you could PM me and explain more, part of the idea is to make it very neat and not have any huge buckets or radiators hanging out, trying to fit everything in the case, or maybe everything and just a small reservoir outside.

make a very thin box out of plexiglass that will fit behind your mobo. have an intake at the top and something to spread the water across the hole thing. have an outtake at the bottom. no need for 2 pumps or 2 resiviors. just use that as your res.

hmmm, where on earth would i get something to spread the water out like that??? i guess i could buy one of those water fountains i linked to and take it apart and use that,but they're very exnensive, and no telling about the right size, and how hard they are to get to. they have to carry something like that somewhere

a piece of copper pipe with holes drilled down the length of it, with one end capped off, and the other end with the output from the small pump. I'm already working on a mod like this, though it's going to be over my case window, not behind the mobo it's the same basic idea, you can pick up a small pump that will work at a "Michael's" craft store for about $10 along with enough hose, the only other thing you'll need to buy is some plexiglass, a copper pipe (a little smaller than the tubing), and an end-cap for the pipe.

sweet, be sure to let me know how your mod turns out ghengis.....what do you recommend for collecting the water as it falls?

I'm just gonna use the bottom of the plexi box that I'm making for the water-fall effect (tilted at about 5 degrees) with a hose on the end hooked back to the other side of the little pump.
now to actually go get the pump (the Michael's that I plan on going to is the one where a woman got shot by the Sniper in DC, so it may be a while before I go)

well, i'll be tracking you to see how it turns out, cause i think it would look sweet to have water running down behind a cutout, w/ say a blacklight making the water glow or something. and this whole sniper thing is absurd, i just wanna charge him and beat his ************************* to the ground, but that's a whole different topic.

I am also planning to do something like this. I am going to use this case:

http://www.directron.com/201tblue.html

I am planning on building a thin reservoir behind the motherboard tray, maybe using the actual window, depending on how hard it is. I was looking around at other reservoirs, and calculated how thick it would have to be, using the whole window, to hold the same amount of water. I don't know where my calculations are, but I beleive that 5mm is enough.

I was planning on going to somewhere like Tap Plastics and having them make it for me, but, does anyone have any ideas on how hard it would be to make well and leakproof?

that is very creative i must say.
yeah it would be possible safely if you made something in closed off plexiglass. sort of like a container. then you would make a channel for the water to run down trough.

if you decide to do that i would love to see pics

its me again... i drew a quick sketch of what i was thinking.

i would love to see someone complete it ;)

idea.jpg

As long as we're posting pictures, here's the one that I put together for making my window. I know it's a simple drawing, but it gives you the basic idea of what I'm doing.

Back