• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Thin Maxtor Drives, WOW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Check Out this at Seagate,

I heard that Seagate is the FIRST to come out with the new ata thin cable lines that is capable of handling faster data transfers, something like 150mb or so faster, and the new cables are already coming with new motherboards, at least ASUS is sending them out in thier new boards, just installed the new P4PE and it was in it, two of them. Don't have the drive, and can't afford it yet, but hey, faster transfers mean , faster running porgrams...........wow. :D :D :D :D
p.s., just put a new 60gig Maxtor in!

Mr. $T$ said:
Do you work for Maxtor, Kirky?
lol :p

You must be kidding me :p LOL :D

I think you mean no harm but allow me to clarify.

No, I don't work for Maxtor. Actually I have more IBM hard disks than Maxtors. I have 6 IBM 75GXP and 60GXP (4 of them in 2 sets of raid 0 setup), and my luck (TOUCH WOOD!) not one of these GXP fails on me after 1-3 years!

What prompts me to praise this particular model of Maxtor is that I am very impressed with its performance in my video capture/editing works - one single Dmax+8 works almost as fast as my 2 IBM GXP in raid 0 in video editing!

Does my writing sound too much promoting for Maxtor drives? I have tried to be specific and precise, e.g I said it is fastest only in transfer rate (I even used upper case), and I said fastest for IDE hd, not ALL hd (higher end SCSI hd are still faster in TR). And I have not recommended other models from Maxtor.

To be balanced in view I pointed out in concluding remark that WD JB series is LIKELY to perform better in TYPICAL USUAL desktop/server environment. By common understanding this will apply to, say, more than 90% of users. After all how much % of users do a lot of video/graphics works? So I might as well be suspected to work for WesternD because I give the opinion that their JB series work better for >90% of users?

Serial ATA

It's called Serial ATA, the stuff we all have is called Parallel ATA.

You make it sound like a new kind of cable speeds up your drives :D

EDIT:

Yeah it sounds pretty cool that it can do 150mbps but think about this.......

That's all just theoretical junk, I'm a little more educated about this stuff now so I would not have bought my Maxtor D740X because it was ATA133 but a WD 8mb because you don't use all of that theoretical speed.

Now the extra overhead might help on a RAID configuration (Serial ATA RAID, sounds sweet), BUT there's one thing holding you back.

Hard Drives run off of the PCI bus, which is 33Mhz non-overclocked. There is a max bandwidth of 133mbps. So what the **** does it matter if your Serial ATA interface can handle (THEORETICALLY) 150mbps if the bus it runs on only handles up to 133mbps????

Just something you should think about before laying out your $$$.

Last edited:
ssgohan434 said:
with these smaller drives does it mean that u can fit 2 harddrives in a bay made for only 1? and wouldnt that make twice as much if not more heat in one bay which is bad for harddrives?

This Dmax+8 is about two third the height of the usual HD, not 1/2, so I can't see how to fit 2 of these hd in the usual 3 1/2 inch bay.

Even if it is only 1/2 height, to stack 2 of them in contact in order to go in the bay will be a bad idea because the lower one will not get circulating/ventilating air above the upper surface.

But to look at thing from the opposite angle, I would think that the slimmer 2/3 height will give somewhat (I don't know how much) better ventilation if you put ONE slimmer hard disk in the usual hard disk bay because there is then be more room for air to flow above the hard disk.

I was using my friend's computer that i built for him with that drive and it seems to be slightly quiter then my D740X. Maybe he has a quiter case.

CraxySerge said:
I was using my friend's computer that i built for him with that drive and it seems to be slightly quiter then my D740X. Maybe he has a quiter case.

DiamondMax Plus 8 has FDB (fluid dynamic bearing) motors. From the pdf document, at idle it is 2.7 bel average, on seek 2.8 bel average.

D740X comes in 2 models, ball bearing (BB) or FDB.
BB model - idle 3.0 bel, seek 3.5
FDB model - idle 2.7 bel, seek 3.2

Therefore Dmax+8 is in fact quieter than D740X, even if the later is of the FDB model.

Back