• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could My CD-Burner all of a sudden Die?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. $T$

Well I was Changing my Ram timings and I set them to high and I had to reset My CMOS... so I reset it and my secondary IDE channel does not show up. (My Burner and My DVD drive are on the same channel and Both do not show up) so I unplug my drives and test my HDD on the secondary channel and it shows up fine. And I plug my DVD drive in the secondary channel and it also works fine, and I plug my Burner in the Secondary channel and It does not show up. ( In POST it looks for it for a long time and finds nothing). I plug my HDD and my DVD on the same Ribbon on the secondary channel and the Primary Channel and they work on both. Then I try My HDD and my Burner on the same ribbon cable and thay dont work on both the primary and secondary Channel. And Before this my secondary channel would go out after a few days in windows, and would even go out after a few hours. Is my burner dead?

edit: It is a Cheap azz Pacific Digtal 8x8x32 I bought a year and a half ago.

i was messing with the FSB a couple months ago and killed a floppy drive. i don't know if changing the FSB killed it but it happened at the same time so that's what i think happened.

anyway, i would think the drive is dead. you seem to have covered everything when trouble shooting so the drive it self appears dead.

on a good note, the Lite On 48x12x48 is $60 at newegg with free shipping right now. the Lite On drives are some of the best on the market, even better then Plextor IMO.

Well I bought a extended warrenty. :D :D So I have to buy it at staples :mad: :mad:

But no money loss :eek: :)

yeah ive killed my burner i think. its quite an old one 8x4xsomething and i've burned a fair few cd's in my time. What happens with mine is it shows up and everything but when you put a cd in it it does not read properly, you get the same kind of effect if you put a blank unused cd into a normal cd drive, it revs up, tries to read it and spits it out after a while.

Back