Thread: 9700 How to?

Dragon_Engineer2

Question 9700 How to?

Well I'm getting ready to over clock my radeon 9700.I need some one who has already done this with their card to give me step by step instructions on how to remove the heat sink.I also need to know if they just cleaned off the thermal pad or lightly sanded the surface of the gpu.

Just pop the plastic clips out of the card and remove the heatsink. Remove all traces of old thermal interface material (TIM). Fine steel wool (with the heatsink and card out of the case) cleans things up real well. Regrease with Arctic Silver 3 and reinstall.

I haven't got around to doing my card yet, but I will when I get a bout of ambition....

Dragon_Engineer2
    Hmm I should have pointed this out before but I dont have a Built by ATI.I have saphire's powered by ATI.Looking at my card and looking at pictures of the Built by ATI 9700 the heat sink and mounting clips seem to be the same.But do you think I might run into some surprises?

Originally posted by DragonEngineer
    Hmm I should have pointed this out before but I dont have a Built by ATI.I have saphire's powered by ATI.Looking at my card and looking at pictures of the Built by ATI 9700 the heat sink and mounting clips seem to be the same.But do you think I might run into some surprises?
    uh ya DONT DO IT there is a shim glued to the gpu that is higher than the core itself, you have to remove it in order to use any T.I.M.. if you dont remove it the gpu will overheat and kill the card.... now if you still want to do it just take a knife and pry the shim off... (there is a good chance you will kill the card as well as any chance of getting the card rma'd)

im sure the other members could explain this better than me (im half asleep right now)...

Mobile Barton 2400+ 2.0ghz (15 * 133MHZ) @ 4000+ 2.5ghz (10.5X * 238MHZ) 2v | Thermalright AX-7 w/ Delta 68 | Abit NF7S Rev2
    512mb Corsair XMS PC3200 (DDR 400) @ >PC3700 (DDR 476)
    Optorite 8x+-R 4x+-RW | Western Digital 100GB SE Harddrive | Maxtor 160GB SE Harddrive
    Ati Radeon 9700 PRO 128mb
    19" NEC MultiSync 97F / 17" KDS Avitron a7tf both 1280x768 85hz
    DigiDoc 5
    Logitech z-540 Speakers
    Natural Keyboard Pro
    Logitech MX700 Mouse (have the Wireless Desktop but the keyboard is crap)
    Temps: High but stable.... (roughly translated IMMMMM MEEEEEELLLLLLTTTTTIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG)

Dragon_Engineer2
    What purpose does the shim serve now I'm confused.How does the current heat sink work then?

Originally posted by Ghost68

uh ya DONT DO IT there is a shim glued to the gpu that is higher than the core itself, you have to remove it in order to use any T.I.M.. if you dont remove it the gpu will overheat and kill the card.... now if you still want to do it just take a knife and pry the shim off... (there is a good chance you will kill the card as well as any chance of getting the card rma'd)

im sure the other members could explain this better than me (im half asleep right now)...
    I have to argue here.

I left the shim on my 9700 pro. Take a look at my sig, and then click here: http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4887498

I'm definitely getting some good heat transfer here. It's not too hard to check with something flat (I used a small screwdriver) to see if the core sits higher than the shim... mine did, by a teeny bit.

Just make sure you lap the heatsink really good if you're re-using the stock one because they're warped as hell from the factory...

Dragon_Engineer2
    I plan on using the Thermaltake Crystal Orb.Can any one supply some pictures?

fine check here http://www.ipkonfig.com/Reviews/Vide...9700Pro/Page2/
    and
    Third Post Down

ill edit this as i find more examples....

Mobile Barton 2400+ 2.0ghz (15 * 133MHZ) @ 4000+ 2.5ghz (10.5X * 238MHZ) 2v | Thermalright AX-7 w/ Delta 68 | Abit NF7S Rev2
    512mb Corsair XMS PC3200 (DDR 400) @ >PC3700 (DDR 476)
    Optorite 8x+-R 4x+-RW | Western Digital 100GB SE Harddrive | Maxtor 160GB SE Harddrive
    Ati Radeon 9700 PRO 128mb
    19" NEC MultiSync 97F / 17" KDS Avitron a7tf both 1280x768 85hz
    DigiDoc 5
    Logitech z-540 Speakers
    Natural Keyboard Pro
    Logitech MX700 Mouse (have the Wireless Desktop but the keyboard is crap)
    Temps: High but stable.... (roughly translated IMMMMM MEEEEEELLLLLLTTTTTIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG)